cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual memory

morgan2476
Grafter

Virtual memory

I had set up my virtual memory on a seperate partition of my HD which i use solely for the virtual memory.  However when i checked it tonight i discovered it was set to " no paging file" i have now put it on "system managed file."  What is the best option, and if I do a "custom size on the seperate partition what size should it be?  I have 768 meg of ram
4 REPLIES 4
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Virtual memory

Just copy the system sizes, but if they aren't there then double your memory is a good bet. I'd be surprised if it needs over 3gb though.
Hope that helps,
chalbury
Grafter

There is not a lot of point putting virtual memory on a separate partition. IMHO it should only be put on a separate drive with a fixed size that winxp recommends. With 3gb of ram, my settings are 2 mb fixed on C and on a separate D drive  4606 - 4606 fixed. It is desirable to defrag before fixing so that the page file is contiguous
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Is this right?
You have 3G of real storage - yet you need a swap file?
Is that 4606M?
I've only got 1G of real storage (sob)
My swap partition is 0M used of 256M

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

chalbury
Grafter

Yes that is right. I have a separate large 250gb drive, space is freely available and I understand that Photoshop is greedy. My processor is an E6850 and the whole machine runs pretty slickly. If you have it, why not flaunt it  Grin