cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual machine and USB devices

Ransomefan
Grafter

Virtual machine and USB devices

I have set up a VM to run XP on a 7(64bit) PC. I find that any USB device  connected to the PC needs to be connected (on screen)  every time. I cannot find menu items  suggested in the help file.  The install integration components is greyed out.  Help needed please.
6 REPLIES 6
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Virtual machine and USB devices

Hi there,
Which VM software is it, and which screen is it that the USB device needs connecting on (the virtual one or the host)?
Ransomefan
Grafter

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
  It is the latest Microsoft download for a VM - not the VM mode software. I have loaded and authorised genuine  XP. The USB devices are to connect with the virtual machine.  The Install integration components is , I have now found, greyed out because I had already installed and included the USB devices.  Where necessary, eg. printers, I have installed the drivers on the VM.  I need to manually connect on screen USB memory sticks , printer etc. (only two mouse clicks) and  I am wondering now if this is how it should be.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I suspect it will be, unless there's some way to dedicate a specific port to work with the VM rather than the host PC - otherwise it'll assume anything plugged in is for the host until told otherwise.
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: Ransomefan
I am wondering now if this is how it should be.

That's my impression. You are dealing with two separate PCs, but there is only one hole in which to physically plug the device. But to move the device between the machines, you have to kid each machine that you have unplugged it from the one & inserted it into the other.
So 'Safely remove hardware' on the first, swap to the other desktop & 'plug in' by telling it to connect. I think I'm right in saying that when you first plug the device in, it connects to the active machine, but couldn't swear to this. It may depend on the VM controlling software anyway.
The above is based on a very short experience with a VMWare Virtual machine running XP on a Win 7 Home Premium host. I was connected to it over a remote link as well, so others may have more hands on knowledge!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

When I turn on my scanner (which only has an XP driver) I can go to the USB menu of the Windows Virtual PC and just select Attach for the scanner. I then get a bong-bing as it detaches from Win 7 and bing-bong as it attaches to XP (I don't have to detach it from Win 7 first).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Simon_M
Grafter

True, you don't have to detach first, but if was a memory stick or similar, it would be wise to have clicked 'Safely remove hardware' if there was any chance of files not being properly closed.