cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual PC SP1

Not applicable

Virtual PC SP1

Has anyone used MS Virtual PC SP1?  If so, would like opinions please.
8 REPLIES 8
samuria
Grafter

Re: Virtual PC SP1

I used the virtual pc for a long time but not tried sp1 I ditched it and got Virtual box free from
http://www.virtualbox.org/  its a lot better and free and you can convert your old images to it
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Virtual PC is free now isn't it?
I used to use the older versions (before Microsoft bought Connectix).
One thing I've heard from others is that the emulated graphics card is not very good.
So depends on what you intend to do with it I guess.
Not applicable

Downloaded it, found the instructions on the web and followed them to try my Ubuntu disc in it. Got so far and it stalled. Tried the PCLinuxOS and that seemed to stall too so will have to try again. It was just a little experiment.  Huh
samuria
Grafter

Thats why I switched to Virtualbox it installs all linux beos etc with no problems it the only one I have had no problems with it
Not applicable

I read precise instructions obtained via the Internet and it looked easy so I copied them out, followed them to the letter but no joy so I have downloaded from your link and will give it a go.
Not applicable

Tried the Virtualbox Samuria and as you said, it did work (with Ubuntu). However, didn't get Internet access and it was a bit slow and clunky although I gave it 512MB RAM. I couldn't get PCLinusOS to work, however, as it came up with a black command prompt box asking for username and password - wonder what all that was about?
Anyway, have got a fed up with the experiment so have removed them both and am going to be boring and stick with my Vista.
Thank you for advice and help.
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

VirtualPC is fine if you're installing M$ products, especially XP. In corporate environments the fact that it's Microsoft (trusted and supported) means it's used a lot more widely than at home where VirtualBox and the like are much more popular among hobbyists.
VMWare server is free and I've had no problems with it.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

If you couldn't get Internet access, did you setup the NIC as HOST/Internal or NAT? It needs to be HOST so that it can get an  ip from your router, otherwise it tries to use your local machine and that can be iffy.
I use it the other way round, I run Ubuntu with an XP client, works perfectly. I gave up on M$ s/w a couple of years ago and now (99.9% of the time) run Linux, all the things I need to do (WP/net/scanning/printing/streaming content/listening to music) just works  using the s/w supplied or available as a free download. The only thing missing is gaming, for which I use a console (a M$ one  :D).
If I need something out of the ordinary that only runs on XP then I first try Wine then use the virtual pc if that doesn't work Cry
K