cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual PC 2007 - Vista Guest OS connection problem.

God
Grafter

Virtual PC 2007 - Vista Guest OS connection problem.

I am experimenting with Virtual PC 2007. The Host system is a Vista box, So far I have installed XP Pro and Vista as guest OS’s.
I have a wireless  connection to my Netgear router. I set the virtual machines network connections to “Shared networking (NAT)”. The Virtual XP machine connects to the net perfectly but for some reason the Virtual Vista machine doesn’t, however it can see and log in to the Netgear Router.
It must be a simple solution but at the moment I just can’t work it out. Has anyone else used Virtual PC 2007 and come across this problem and hopefully the solution!
2 REPLIES 2
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Virtual PC 2007 - Vista Guest OS connection problem.

Sounds like a problem we were getting a while ago when vista came out... is the vista network set to local only, or local and internet? If it's local only, that's the reason. The only fix we found was to reinput the network details then reboot and hope it fixed the problem. It might also be worth changing the network from public to private (or vice versa) to see if that makes a difference?
Hope that helps,
God
Grafter

Re: Virtual PC 2007 - Vista Guest OS connection problem.

Doesn't seem to make any difference.
It looks like it is some type of DNS problem. If I try to browse www.plus.net it fails but entering 212.159.8.2 works.
IPCONFIG shows that the emulated adapter has an IPv4 of 192.168.131.66 and DNS is 192.168.0.1 which is the router.