cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Linux

fceluk
Grafter

Virtual Linux

Last night I installed Qemu on my Vista box, created a virtual drive and installed Ubuntu Linux on it.
The last time I messed with Linux it was all command line stuff.
Now with GUI's it's very useable. In fact I'm warming to Linux in a big way.
And it's all so easy, even I can do it.
Right..now that I'm back in the Linux fold what is the recommended free downloadable distribution or is Ubuntu as good as it gets.
9 REPLIES 9
fceluk
Grafter

Re: Virtual Linux

Thanks PJ
I'll stick with it for a while.
Only had an hours browse around last night but it looks good.
Firejack
Grafter

I've had a Linux machine for around 4 years now and really like it. Especially for the services you can run on a low spec machine. I'm using mine as a Router, Firewall, Webserver, Bittorrent Tracker, file server, Digital TV, VPN and for playing with the occasional Linux version of games to laugh how much better then run then on Windows Cheesy
To start with I tried many flavours of Linux but settled on SuSe 8.2 in the end. Since I've used SuSe 9.2 and Open SuSe 10.2 which I'm currently using. Although SuSe has improved a lot I'd recommend Ubunutu also after seeing it in action. Would seem the best all round distribution at the moment.
I'm still no expert at Linux but I comfortable get by and rarely come across a problem I can't fix myself or there isn't an answer on the first page of my Google search. The latest GUI's are very well designed.
Everyone should try Linux Smiley
grimme
Grafter

Distributions from Mint and Simply Mepis are based on Ubuntu/Debian but will usually have extras featured in them that  allow (amongst other things) DVD and MP3 playback out of the box.
Have a look on www.distrowatch.com and see if any other flavour of Linux are to your liking.
fceluk
Grafter

Cheers grimme...will do
jkerr82508
Grafter

Since the only cost is a little bit of your broadband usage (none if you download "off-peak") I'd recommend that you try a few and decide for yourself. They all have their pluses and minuses. Personally, I like Mandriva, but Fedora and Suse are worth trying as well as  (K)Ubuntu.
You may find that one works better with your hardware than the others.
Jim
Walter
Rising Star

Go for it, put it on your hard drive.
I've tried Virtual box which works Ok in miniatuer for a few Distros,  I wonder if Qemu is any better?  Can you load the Video drivers and do you get full resolution and 3D effects?
I've been with Ubuntu for a year 6.06, 7.04 and now 7.10 great improvements all the time, great community.  Wife has Mint 3, never looked back and won't let me touch it!
For any newbies here, Computer Active has recently published "Ultimate Guide to Linux' available at WH Smiths or get it on line.  Well written, nicely printed an it is worth every penny, it is all in there. (including a CD)
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Thanks guys I'm totally convinced now.
Although I can't dump Windowzzz completely as it goes with the territory.
I have an ISO of Ubuntu on a CD and when I knock up a spare box it will go on.
Cheers
Fretmaster (alias FCEL, alias Dick)
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Bookman
Grafter

I've been using Ubuntu Linux (Dapper, long-term support version) for a couple of years now to run PCs for my small home business. I don't have much computer or software knowledge but I find Ubuntu great and I would never go back to Windows.
When I started I had a few problems but that was down to lack of knowledge, and I got lots of help from the very active Ubuntu forums. Also, these sort of problems have generally disappeared as the Linux distros have been made easier for the average type user.
I tried a number of other well-known distros but none came anywhere near Ubuntu for me. Ubuntu itself is available in several flavours - Kubuntu, Edubuntu, Xubuntu - so you can choose what suits you best.
If you don't like the idea of relying on the open source community then Ubuntu is not for you - but if the idea appeals then you'll enjoy it! And because it's free and you are not tied in like with MS you can chop and change when you wish. You can set up several distros on the same hard disk and use them all with the same Home folder containing your configurations. And have them all on the same disk as Windows if you wish.
Enjoy Ubuntu!
seanbranagh
Grafter

I have 2 servers running side by side in my attic. One running XP pro and the other Fedora.
Compared with Windows Linux is amazingly stable. It just will not stop working!
I also work in a large shop where we have one main server in our office running Fedora which has 4 other computers booting and running directly off it that are the till points. It is also in continous communication with our head office.
On top of all of this the computer is used for everyday office work like emailing, wordprocesing and spreadsheets. The shop opened in March of this year and this computer has not been shut down since. I would like to see a Microsoft product that could show the same stability!