Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual COM PORT

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Virtual COM PORT

I need to find some easy to install software. preferably FREE , so that I can have a Serial COM PORT  (via a USB PORT ) showing on my Device Manager...
Using a Laptop, there is no D9 socket available, and I have a USB to D9 adapter cable, but no driver software....
Can someone point me in the right direction please? 
13 REPLIES 13
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Virtual COM PORT

You need to find the correct driver - when you plug in the USB end of the cable to the laptop, does Windows detect the USB device and try to find a driver?
If not, I don't think it's possible.
shutter
Community Veteran

No, I don`t get any indication of plugging the lead into the USB socket... the "hardware" on the other end is a Morse Key.... so no Electronics, except perhaps (if) there is some in the D9 socket on the usb adapter cable...
I bought one of these    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-M-to-F-RS232-Serial-D-9-Pin-Converter-Adapter-Cable-/220682314722?pt=U...
which has this  Note: If your device doesn't have a built-in converter then you'll need a converter to use this cable. 
which I did not see ! ! ! ..
and no.... I only paid £1.74 for it.... then he changed the price to £91.74 ! ! ! ... (don`t think he will sell any more at that price).
The pin configuration on the MRX site for using a Morse key with CWCom, is pin 4 & 8 
Maybe the D9 has no "innards"... and that is why it needs this converter.....
any suggestion for an another D9 to USB converter cable and software?

ejs
Aspiring Hero

I can't recommend any from experience, but ebuyer have a couple of suitable looking things.
I don't really know what if anything you can actually do with the cable you've got, if all it does is wire the usb pins to some of the serial pins.
shutter
Community Veteran

Well, my lead looks exactly like the one in your linky.... and is supposed to do the same thing.... use a usb port as a COM PORT...
I`m baffled...  Cry
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Maplin have something for 9.99 - note most of the reviews / questions talk about the driver.
The serial end of the cable in the picture of yours looks like a serial plug (female), others have a serial socket (male).
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks for the linky to Maplin..... in my frustration, late last night, I ordered one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300861783924?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
which has a cd with it,.... so hopefully it will work.... if not, at least I can send it back ! ..
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: ejs
The serial end of the cable in the picture of yours looks like a serial plug (female), others have a serial socket (male).

Now you're confusing me  Shocked  shirley it is plug = male, socket = female  Roll_eyes
(I used to be certified, but I stopped paying the fee Crazy )
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Usually yes, but serial sockets have 9 (or 25) pins, the plugs have the holes.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Long shot but have you tried downloading the drivers available in the Maplin link?
PS...my Kaspersky objected to the zip file but may have been a false positive.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shutter
Community Veteran

No, Strat,.... but I have tried downloading other drivers....
Will wait and see what this new one does, or does not do......
Thanks for the input.  Wink
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: ejs
Usually yes, but serial sockets have 9 (or 25) pins, the plugs have the holes.

Ah, I see your point now. However, that would seem to be a chassis mounted plug requiring a cable with a socket termination  Roll_eyes
A plug (or socket) can be chassis or cable "mounted" - with a cover for the cable mount.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
shutter
Community Veteran

Funny.... but My 3 pin mains PLUG... has PINS... and my 3pin SOCKET has HOLES.
I think that is a "general inference" and a direct reference to the MALE and FEMALE  genitalia....   Embarrassed
To make the connection... you need to "PLUG" the "HOLE"...  Roll_eyes
likewise, if you have a leak of gas or liquid from a HOLE in a pipe.... .. then you put a PLUG in it...
Very similar to a SINK UNIT... where you put a PLUG in the HOLE to stop the water from draining out.
In Nautical Terms.... to stop a boat from sinking, you would put a BUNG in the HOLE.... hence the term.... "bung-hole"  Cheesy  or "bung a plug in the hole to stop that leak"...
shutter
Community Veteran

OK... here is how you do it.......
order one of these.....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1M-USB-A-Male-D9-Male-Serial-RS232-to-USB-Adapator-Cable-/320997916370?pt=...
pay for it.... wait for delivery... open package...... insert the CD into your drive,..... install the software.... shut down the computer..... plug in the USB end.... re-boot.... should then recognise the USB as a COM PORT and (probably ) assign it COM PORT 14... If this doesn`t work with your hardware, it may be because of conflicts on COM PORT 14... in which case you need to go to Device Manager and click on the COM PORT listed, and change the COM PORT number...
Job Done...
Thanks for all your help guys..     Roll_eyes   Cheesy     . hope this helps someone else !        Grin Grin