cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin and BPI warn illegal downloaders

Adam1V
Grafter

Virgin and BPI warn illegal downloaders

Virgin Media and the British Phonographic Institute (BPI) are to send warning letters to customers they believe are downloading or distributing music illegally. The announcement represents the first such public deal between the BPI and an ISP.
The pair hope that the new campaign will avoid users risking disconnection and possible legal action. "Virgin Media's fibre optic broadband is a great platform for people who want to download lots of music," said Virgin Media in a statement. "But we want them to do so without infringing the rights of musicians and music companies."
Customers whose accounts appear to have been used to distribute music in breach of copyright will receive "informative letters" from Virgin Media and the BPI.

Source
What do the force9 employees think of this, or whats F9 thoughts on the whole subject?
Virgin media must want to wave goodbye to all their customers surely?
Whilst I dont condone illegal downloading, everyone has done it from time to time, its like speeding, people dont admit to speeding, but 80% of people do creep over the limit from time to time  Cool
8 REPLIES 8
Jake
Grafter

Re: Virgin and BPI warn illegal downloaders

I've just seen this, it'll be interesting to see how the customer's actually respond to the letters they receive. It'll most likely stop people downloading illegally for a time fear of prosecution without it actually coming to that. I fear they will stay with their ISP as to move could be construed as an admission of guilt. There's a more in-depth article here.http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/virgin-warns-illegal-downloaders-stop-or-...
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Adam1V
Whilst I dont condone illegal downloading, everyone has done it from time to time, its like speeding, people dont admit to speeding, but 80% of people do creep over the limit from time to time  Cool

I have not as I will not load P2P software on to my system.  Wink
scootie
Grafter

why say u havent got p2p software on your computer(i bet u have p2p software on ya comp as lots of legit software uses p2p)
p2p needs to be taken off the dirty word list and isps need to stop treating people who use p2p badly by speed caping the protcol.
if im not mis informed skype uses p2p.
cp:quote
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Skype, BBC iPlayer PC client, 4OD, game software all sorts use it...
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Jake
Grafter

Supposing I use C4 OD, obviusly completely legal to watch a show, that's fine.
But maybe I don't want to download and install an application, so I watch stream the same show on a peer-to-peer. Now I'm breaking the law and get a letter. It's stupid
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

So everyone starts using bit torrent (with encryption).
Big deal. Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

zubel
Community Veteran

Which won't be identified by the Ellacoyas, and thus put in the Bronze, low-priority queue anyway Smiley
B.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I was thinking of the Virgin subscribers.
BTW The Ellycoyas seem to identify some of the encrypted traffic as HTML and some as low-priority "Other" - at least in my experience.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."