cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vigor 120 and Mac OSX

Priority

Vigor 120 and Mac OSX

Does anyone use a Vigor 120 ADSL2 router with their OSX?
I bought a new Airport Extreme, and was recommended to get a straight-through modem to run it, and the Vigor 120 seems to be the simplest and most straight forward. I had no luck setting it up, so I've laid aside the Airport and connected the Mac direct to the incoming filtered telephone, and still it beats me. There is supposed to be no setting up with the Vigor, but nothing I try can get it to connect.
The Vigor comes with no documentation - the website is particularly short on information (other than teling you how simple it is to set up) - the downloadable users guide is out of date.
If anyone does know how to help, please let me know, or wait a week or two and you'll be able to pick one up cheap on eBay!
9 REPLIES 9
MacOS10
Grafter

Re: Vigor 120 and Mac OSX

We have a Draytek Vigor 2820 modem/router at work - and we have a mainly Mac-based network. So it should be possible to set it up via a Mac, we do on ours, although I appreciate it's a different model.. All you should need to do is type in the IP address of the Vigor into a web browser - this should be listed in the documentation but it's usually either:
or
Then hit the Enter button and it'll ask for a user name and password - try "admin" as the user name and "password" as the password - I think they'll be the default ones, but if that doesn't work, try leaving them blank.
I'm assuming you've got a connection to the internet through the Vigor already, but if not, run through the "Quick Start Wizard" link at the top left of the router's setup page. When you say "but nothing I try can get it to connect." do you mean connecting to the internet or just connecting to your Airport Extreme? If you mean the Airport Extreme, then just make sure DHCP is enabled on the Vigor then launch "Airport Setup Assistant" (in your Utilities folder on your Mac) to connect to the Airport Extreme and set it up. I'm assuming you'll need to be connected via Ethernet whilst you set up the wireless network. And don't forget to change the default Airport network name (SSID) and set some security on the Airport Extreme wireless network - I'd say WPA is secure enough, as long as the password you set is hard to guess. Once that's done, try disconnecting the ethernet cable and select your new wireless network under the Airport icon at the top of your Mac's menu bar.
The Vigor range are good, but they're not easy to set up - nowhere near as user-friendly as the Netgear or Belkin range. They're aimed more at techies who know how to configure things manually. For home use, I wouldn't really recommend them myself, but once you get them up and running you can probably forget about it. The Vigor 2820 we have is mind-boggling with all its options and settings, we probably only use about 2% of what it offers!
MacOS10
Grafter

No idea if this will help, but have a look on THIS SUPPORT PAGE - scroll down to the bottom of the page and under the "Router Tools" heading, click the link called Router Tools for MacOS 10.4.8+. This might allow you to set up the Vigor 120 if the web browser route doesn't work.
Priority

OK, many thanks for the help -
I have of course been into the web-based documentation (its 192.168.2.1, although all the 'help' documentation says 1.1!)
The next problem is that the Quick start guide and the Users Guide say the same as you - "Quick Start Wizard", top of screen.... nope! ...not there!... not nowhere!
And yes, I mean just trying to get to the internet - I've put the Airport Extreme back in the box till I get the simple connection working. I'm using a flaky Belkin modem/router at the moment, and the AE links into that and works no problem, but I want to replace the belkin, and just have a simple modem supplying the AE. At the moment, I am trying to get the Vigor Modem to run straight to the Mac.
Your description of the Vigor is what I understood - good robust equipment that would just go on working.
But of course its not a router - even the documentation from DrayTek seems to ignore that fact. It should be a simple straight-through modem with no setting up - all the settings are done on the computer
I've downloaded the Router Tools for MacOS10.4.8+ and will have a look later, I ignored it before because, as I said, the 120 is not a router.
Why on earth do Apple make a wireless router, and not make or recommend a ADSL modem?
paulby
Grafter

IIRC you need to use PPoE connection manager on your MAC/PC with a 120.
I don't know about MACs but on a PC it's a standard Windows component - you need to enter your ISP details (username/password) into the client and not into the router!
In Windows Xp you'd go to Network Connections and click on "Add a New Connection" and follow the Wizard through "Connect to the Internet>Set Up My Connection Manually>Connect Using a Broadband Connection that requires a user name and password".  I don't know if there's a similar option on a MAC but you you need to enter your user details on the computer (you can also manage the connection on a separate router if it has the ability to enter ISP details for a PPPoE connection) to manage the connection to the ISP - the Vigor 120 will only handle the connection to the exchange (i.e. it'll act ONLY as a modem).
Priority

Thanks, Paul, but ...
The Mac has a straightforward Network setup Assistant, and obviously I'm setting it to use PPPoE.
There is no option to apply user name/password in the Vigor 120 modem, it has to be into the client.
The problem is when trying to connect, the Assistant says "could not find a PPPoE server" The Diagnostic panel comes back with " Could not negotiate a connection with the remote PPP server. Please verify your settings and try again"
Needless to say, I've checked and verified the settings (Username@plusdsl.net/password) countless times. They are correct, so the problem would appear to be at Plus Net!
Anyone from PlusNet got any ideas?
MacOS10
Grafter

How are you setting up the PPPoE connection on the Mac? I may be totally wrong here, but if you go to System Preferences > Network then click on the "Built-in Ethernet" section, there should be an option to connect via PPPoE - mine looks like this...

...though I don't have it set up as I use the standard PPPoA protocol for my PlusNet connection. If you're on OS X Leopard 10.5, it might look slightly different to the above as I'm on Tiger. If you tick the "Connect using PPPoE" tick box, then fill in the relevant ISP account details (i.e. your PlusNet user name and password) and click the "Save password" tick box to save it in your keychain, does that work? I'm surprised that you have to use PPPoE - I thought that was more common in Europe, and that PPPoA was used in the UK - though I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people on the forums who can advise on this.
If not, then I'm probably out of suggestions as I don't have the Vigor 120 so I'm purely guessing. I still think you'd be better off with a Netgear modem/router, attached to your Airport Extreme - that would be much easier to set up than the Vigor.
Do post back if you manage to get it working and explain how you did it - I'm sure it would be useful to others in the same situation, for future reference.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

PPPoE should work have a look at his post here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,75765.msg609128.html#msg609128 there is also a bit about using the Vigor with the AiportExtreme here http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vigor100_setup.html
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Priority

Adiewoo!, MacOS10!  Yes, yes, yes!!
Tried them all, been there, done that - no, no no!!
I've definitely given up now.
I'm a fairly intelligent, methodical self-taught computer user - I began with Macs in 1990, and I've had and used dozens - I've set up and used several networking sites, I've managed to understand and operate all sorts of things, but this little white box has got me beat!
I surrender - its going on ebay as new, unused!
Many thanks to you all
MacOS10
Grafter

I surrender - its going on ebay as new, unused!

A wise decision I think! As you can probably tell, I'm not a huge fan of the Draytek Vigor range, they're not easy to set up at all (as you've discovered!). I assume you're still keeping the Airport Extreme though? Just get a cheap Ethernet modem/router to attach to that and it should work fine. I'd recommend the Netgear range myself, maybe not the cheapest but most reliable IMHO.