Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video thumbnails

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Video thumbnails

On the new build of windows I have just done, 1809, video thumbnails for mpg do not show although thumbnails for avi and mov etc do. These thumbnails show fine on my laptop, windows 10 1803. Tried the usual stuff found online but nothing . The only difference between the two is the laptop is an upgrade from 7 and then various iterations of 10. The desktop is a fresh install. I am presuming some codec issue, that was present in 7. Anyone have any ideas

12 REPLIES 12
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Video thumbnails

Surely no one watches mpeg files - usual thing is to convert raw mpeg to a watchable format susch as mkv or mp4 etc...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I have quite a few mpeg files that I watch fairly regular. All work fine on Windows 7 but I did have the occasional blip, the odd one wouldn't play so I installed a codec pack and all is well.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the replys.... These are older videos that were converted from super 8 tape and the video editor converted into mpg files. I have vlc installed on both systems, yet on the laptop upgraded from 7 the thumbnails show, on the fresh install of 10 they don't for mpgs. The files themselves open and run fine in vlc. I was really just curious as to why it would do this, and the thumbnails are useful.... I would have thought that if vlc will play them fine, then the correct codec will have been installed.....
Mav
Fixes: 514

As far as I'm aware VLC uses it's built-in codecs to play files but if the operating system doesn't recognise any codec then it's thumbnail may not be shown.

Try downloading one of K-lite's codec packs (probably the Basic would suffice) to see if that solves the issue.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Worth a shot.... With that in mind, as the laptop was an upgrade, and 7 still had the facility to play dvds natively, I presume that was carried over to 10. But as 10 won't play dvds out of the box, then the right files are not there???? Will let you know .
VileReynard
Hero

Surely you're joking about Windows 10 can't play DVD's?

penfold
Aspiring Pro

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@VileReynard wrote:

Surely you're joking about Windows 10 can't play DVD's?

I suspect Windows probably says "what's a DVD"! Don't you know, everything is downloaded nowadays - until the data connection disappears.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Anonymous
Not applicable

@penfold - You might want to try this:

Open Start.
Open a Command Prompt as Administrator
Enter the following:
taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
Delete the thumbnail databases without asking for confirmation and press Enter:
del /f /s /q /a %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\thumbcache_*.db
Restart explorer:
start explorer.exe
Then exit the command prompt:
exit
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I use VLC to play DVDs and Cyberlink Media suite (free with a Blu-ray player) to play Blu-ray movies.

It would be nice if W10 played anything placed in a 'plastic disc' drive.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Apologies for the very late reply to this.... I've not been around for a bit. Installing the klite basic code pack fixed the issue. It's likely that win10 does not install alot of codecs, but I am a little surprised that although these files play fine in vlc, the thumbnail does not appear. Is vlc not sharing the code???? Anyhow it's fixed. Thanks for the suggestions.
VileReynard
Hero

VLC is open source - so although the code etc is available to Microsoft, any attempt to make use of it would have major licensing implications for Microsoft if they attempted to include it as part of their closed source Windows product.