Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video grabber.

FIXED
Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Video grabber.

I really must transfer my home video tapes to the computer so that I can pass copies of them around to the family before they get lost.... or I kick the bucket. Tried doing it last year by using a kit I bought off ebay (yes, I know) which turned out to be difficult to use as the paper instructions were in Korean I think and some rather garbled double dutch translation that drove me crazy!

Before I shell out my diminishing pension on even more rubbish like that, can anybody recommend a decent video grabber kit with instructions and software I can even half begin to understand?  

I had one of the first video cameras so have about a dozen VHS cassettes of the kids going back nearly forty years would you believe (plus some even older super eight Cini film that was copied on to them) and yes, I do have a VHS player - I bought one second hand (yes, again I know) but it refuses to copy from VHS to DVD although both will play back quite happily - but that's another story. 

Cheers for any help guys.  

Edit: PS. Running Windows 10, if that makes any difference. 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
11 REPLIES 11
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Video grabber.

Fix

I have used this to successfully transfer about 20 VHS home recordings of family to the hard drive of a laptop and from there to DVD.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Minivanman
Legend

Interesting, thanks.

Just been looking at this one but unlike yours it make no mention that I can see of Windows 10.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/usb-video-and-audio-grabber-a07jr

Edit (again) Presumably it would be possible to store the information onto a stick or place it into a file for sharing as an attachment - although that may be to large a file to send.

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It might cost a bit more, but you could probably get this done commercially.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Strat
Community Veteran

I did try 2 or 3 more obscure ones before getting the one in my link.

I also needed the scart adaptor.

I was getting a little concerned as most of my tapes had footage containing my late wife and the VHS machine could have failed with a replacement harder to find now that they are no longer manufactured.

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Minivanman
Legend

I have looked at the commercial cost but they do seem rather high added to which, I would hope to edit some of it. 

Thanks. Smiley

Herman Melville
Minivanman
Legend

I think I have a SCART adapter kicking around somewhere if needed - although those things have been the bane of my life in the past!

Herman Melville
Minivanman
Legend

Just to let you know, have now ordered one of those for that price but with free postage.

Fingers crossed, and thanks.

Herman Melville
Minivanman
Legend

A question if I may (been googling this as well) - Did you save your tapes onto DVD or onto a flash drive? Been trying to figure out how much memory I'll need for each tape as well. Some are half hour tapes, others are three and hopefully I'll be able to edit them neatly as well. 

Herman Melville
Strat
Community Veteran

I was using a laptop and saved files to a NAS drive because the laptop drive was quite full but could be saved anywhere.

Just checking I have a 45 minute tape which created a 1.45GB mpg file.

Minivanman
Legend

Ah right, one of those would be out of this pensioners price range!

Herman Melville
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

But a 2GB USB key wouldn't!

Anyway that file is probably a MPEG file which will compress hugely into a MP4 or MKV format.

As we speak Thumbs_Up I'm converting a 6.2GB rip from a DVD of a 2 hour film into a 2GB MP4 file (although I doubt anyone would notice if it was only 500MB).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."