cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video about my network

seanbranagh
Grafter

Video about my network

Sunday afternoon and I was bored so I done what I have seen lots of people doing on youtube. I started creating a video of my network.
So far I have only created a bit about the servers but am working on the next bit:
9 REPLIES 9
seanbranagh
Grafter

Re: Video about my network

I have recorded the second part of this video, the bit that shows all of the network hardware. It is currently uploading to Youtube. It will not be uploaded until about 1.15am as I did not compress it.
Please excuse the grainy video as I only have a digital camera for recording. Lighting was also poor as I need to replace a faulty light switch in the room.
The video is "Home Network Tour Part 2" and will be available once it is uploaded at www.youtube.com/seanbranagh
seanbranagh
Grafter

Second video now available:
James
Grafter

Saw the thread title and didn't even need to check who'd posted it Smiley
seanbranagh
Grafter

Yes, I do have a little bit of an obsession  ;D. I don't follow sport much and we all need something to entertain us.
mal0z
Grafter

Thanks Sean - very interesting.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: Sean
Yes, I do have a little bit of an obsession  ;D. I don't follow sport much and we all need something to entertain us.

Very interesting - didn't understand the warning about needing a professional electrician etc.
Everything looked neat and legal.
Most people have multiway adaptors with adaptors on adaptors under their feet - well I do!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

seanbranagh
Grafter

The bit about consulting a qualified electrician was to cover myself. I know how to properly install domestic wiring but not everyone does. I would feel a little guilty if someone killed themselves while following my example!
I agree that my installation is much safer, tider and more organized than multiway trailing sockets.
mal0z
Grafter

A large number of companies I've been into have wiring much less neat than yours Sean - and I've seen some equipment/server rooms that look horrendous, whilst some you could eat your dinner off the floor, and not a cable out of place.
seanbranagh
Grafter

In my full time job I would have to say the same. We install data cabling, fibre, cabinets etc. It is usually the older buildings that have been retrofitted with modern comms that are the most untidy.
The rooms that scare me most are the really small ones without any air conn. One in particular in the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast (one of the old buildings) sticks in my mind from earlier this year.
It is some sort of small records store that has had 3 cabinets filled with equiptment thrown into one side. The cables are a complete mess but the heat is insane, despite someones best efforts to cool the room by drilling several holes in the door!
Luckily I was splicing fibres in a panel at the bottom of one of the cabinets. Any higher than floor level and I would have passed out with the heat. Congratulations to Cisco and the other equiptment manufactures who can make equipment that survives in that room for any longer than a day!