cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Juke Box?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Video Juke Box?

I've just had my son come in to ask if we could go to Ikea this weekend (after the shivering had washed over me) I asked what we was wanting. 'I need another set of shelves for my DVDs' came the reply. But to cut a long story short my son has in excess of 500 DVDs and BlueRays and I was wondering if there was any software / hardware that could be bought that would allow the creation of what would be a Juke Box for movies.
I understand there are issues regarding copying etc, so it may not even be possible but as a concept it makes perfect sense to me.
19 REPLIES 19
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Video Juke Box?

rip them all do hard disk and use plex https://plex.tv/
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now that is an impressive bit of software. Have a gold star for the suggestion. The next step is to get a NAS that's up to the job.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Gonna take a while..... so you might as well put one in the telly and watch it, while you doe "some" of the other 499 !!! ... Cheesy
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, that is an obvious consideration. I don't really know what software's needed to rip DVD's / BlueRays but I suspect Google does. Out of curiosity does anyone know how long it takes to rip a DVD?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

dvd's not long at all and lots of free software to do it.. blu's on the other hand take considerably longer.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You need to pay for the pleasure of putting everything in somebody else's cloud.
Why not get a 2TB disk (or bigger) and use an old PC to stream it to your TV.
There is free software which will do this over your local ethernet.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

I already have a large QNAP NAS but this was to be a standalone solution hence the 'Video Juke Box' reference.
There is software as you say, Plex for one, but the level of interest was sitting at -1 when I suggested it. I think the thought of transferring all of the DVD's to disk nullified the value of the solution!
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

The way I see it is if you already own the discs, just use a P2P downloader to download the already digitised copies of them and store them on your media server, the DVDs are just hard copies, and you do have the right to make digitised copies for use on personal NAS and media servers, so if someone else has done the work save yourself the task and download instead... Smiley
(I'll just apply my flak jacket for the ensuing attack for daring to mention downloading movies that you already own!!)
VileReynard
Hero

Where do you find identical copies of your DVD's on the internet?

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: twocvbloke
The way I see it is if you already own the discs

As I understand it you don't own the DVD/Blue-Ray and it's content, you have purchased the right to listen/watch the content.
Just a thought.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
VileReynard
Hero

You have the right to sell the DVD - so you must own it!

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
Where do you find identical copies of your DVD's on the internet?

Open your chosen search engine, enter the DVD title and "download" as the search terms, hey presto, loads of results, amazing how so many people don't know of this simple task... Grin
Quote from: Strat
you have purchased the right to listen/watch the content.

Therefore the right to watch what you have purchased covers a copy that has been downloaded to use on a personal media player and not used for commercial or fraudulent use (such as burning off knockoffs to flog at your local dodgy delboy market stall), you're allowed to make backup copies of media you have purchased, and those backups can be physical or electronic media, but only for personal use... Smiley
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: twocvbloke
you're allowed to make backup copies of media you have purchased, and those backups can be physical or electronic media, but only for personal use

So using somebody else's 'backup copy' is not allowed then...
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

If someone else's backup copy comes from the same release as your original, there's no difference as to whether you made it or they made it, it's the same DVD pressed in the same factory, the only difference is you didn't spend weeks converting everything to files readable by Plex... Smiley
Now if say you had a DVD version of a film and then downloaded the BluRay, then yeah, that's not allowed... Wink