cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very poorly laptop

Denzil
Grafter

Re: Very poorly laptop

I would strongly recommend buying an external hard drive at the same time. They are quite cheap these days, and are an easy way to back up a lot of data.
Be3G
Grafter

Indeed, particularly if she goes for a Mac - she can then use the built-in Time Machine software to maintain a complete and automatically updated backup of the computer.
jmd
Grafter

Thanks for comments - am going to try the linux suggestion at some point - once my new computer is here probably!
In meantime cannot afford an Apple so WILL  be getting a Dell Studio 15. 
And have managed to get back into Forum to reply thanks to support!
James
Grafter

Very few people *can* afford to buy an Apple Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

and of the few who can even fewer see the point  Grin
Not applicable

Before this thread is hijacked by enraged Mac users will just add that Dell Studio 15 has been ordered (a good choice IMO), plus 3 year
in-house warranty so should be up and running in a week or two.
Meanwhile, at some point I will have a try with Ubuntu live CD to look and see if the hard drive was cleared when the computer shop tried to reinstall XP.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Helen got one of the 17" ones when they came out, and it's been stunning - I was blown away when hooking it up to the telly via the HDMI port (!) - audio passthrough works without a hitch. It seems really solid.
As a bonus I think that might come with a free upgrade to windows 7, too - which I'd recommend as it seems a lot friendlier than vista.
Not applicable

Thanks for that Orbrey - I too was admiring the 17" (I prefer this size) and I am a real pushover when it comes to new computers.
You have (almost) succeeded in tempting me! Oh dear - better go for a dog walk until the feeling wears off!  Undecided
jmd
Grafter

Well I fancied the 17 inch but decided to stick with 15 [my bag is for that size anyway!] and that does not have hdmi port but really sounds good anyway.  Waiting to hear when it will arrive...................
Mind you anything is better than a dead Sony Vaio that had 80 Hard Drive and 512 memory!!  That is one of reasons I did not have Sony repaired.  But am going to get a external hard drive and put a big notice up  to remind to back up back up and back up!!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

My desk top has a 22 inch.  Grin Grin Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

James
Grafter

Mine's 24 Tongue
Not applicable

Behave yourselves you two!  Wink
jmd
Grafter

A 24 inch would nearly fill my kitchen table so would not be able to put any food on it!
15 inch laptop is fine when I get it!
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@jmdlp....
when you get your tracking number from Dell, if it doesn`t work, put a zero in front of it and try that..... I was trying for days, without success, to see where mine was, and it was not until the day before it actually arrived, that I found out, that Dell had missed off the zero !..
Not applicable

Took it to the shop and jmdlp is going to have a new hard drive put in as it would be the same price for an external hard disk so it will become a spare computer and back-up facility.
The computer booted the live Ubuntu CD alright-even wireless worked.Unfortunately,although I went into System and saw the Windows programme files I couldn't see anything in Documents or Pictures.
With my own dual-boot Ubuntu I can see docs and what-have-you in the Vista partition and can open and amend them.
Wonder if I did something wrong? We both had a good look round but couldn't see anything relevant.