cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very nice BIOS option.

seanbranagh
Grafter

Very nice BIOS option.

I have just discovered a nice option is the Bios of my new Asus M3N78 motherboard. I can set the voltage of the chassis fans lower than 12V and they will automatically run at full speed if the system temperature reaches a preset level. This is probably nothing new but I have never seen it before. It means my machine runs nice and quiet unless is needs to turn the fans up. Better that my old machine which continously sounded like a jet engine and vacumned all the dust from the room into the case!
3 REPLIES 3
samuria
Grafter

Re: Very nice BIOS option.

With that board there should be a utility called quite fan or similar which does what it says on the packet keeps the fan quite and only speeds it up when needed. It could be on the cpu disk I cant remember
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Sean,
This probably doesn't apply in your case but relying on the motherboard system temperature measurement for controlling the chassis fans can cause problems where lack of air flow can seriously overheat the graphics card without showing up on the system temperature sensor.
seanbranagh
Grafter

I am happy enough that the graphics card will be ok. Even with the fans turned down there is still good airflow at this card across the hard disks from the 120MM fan on the front of the case. It is an FX 5200 PCI and has its own fan also. It is only used for a second vga monitor as I use the onboard Gforce 8200 card for the main monitor. I don't play games so there is not much demand on either card.