Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN query

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

VPN query

Using Firefox, upto datest version... Win 7 Pro  (uptodatest)....

I have been using Winscribe, as a VPN, to watch some German T.V. stations for some time now... it works well, from the extension with Firefox, .

On Christmas Day, there is a T.V. programme, going to be shown on ORF1 ( Austrian T.V. ).   but I am unable to access Austrian TV with Winscribe... as Austria as a location country, is greyed out... and not available... ( maybe it is if you pay for/subscribe, but I would rather not go that route, unless I have to).. so, my query on here is,

Can anyone recommend a VPN that is FREE that I can download and use to gain access to Austria as a location.

I have gone through all the offerings on Firefox Extensions, and none of them show Austria at all.

On the reverse of that.... I have a friend in Germany, who is trying to access UK tv..with no-luck, either,... . he has tried using Winscribe, with his location set as UK, but it keeps saying he must disable ablocker,... but he doesn`t have adblocker... he normally uses Google Chrome, but has tried it also with Firefox... both say the same thing..

Any offers  ? ? ? 

Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: VPN query

Many of the online services are now blocking known VPN addresses - including BBC / ITV, so your friend will be out of luck unless they pay for a VPN than can get round that.

For Austria again paid VPN may be the only way forward, it's available in both my VPN's - may be worth paying for just one month?

You could try https://hide.me/ that has a free plan that would probably suit your needs

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
shutter
Community Veteran

@dvorak Thanks for the quick reply..... Had a quick look at your linky, and Austria is shown on there, but must use the paid for version...I think th "plus" at $4.99 might be the way to go, if no other solution becomes available..

As the payment is in $ does that mean it is only payable using a credit card? or can it be paid by PayPal/Debit card ?

You say... "both my vpns"... so what is the other one      ?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@shutter if your friend has an Android device, you might look at ...

You shouldn't need to use a VPN with it. Not sure if it helps you with Austria though, I've never looked for Austrian streams with it...

edited to remove any possible copyright issues

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak

@shutter I don't use winscribe, I just looked for a free one that may work for you - they do seem to accept paypal though.

I personally have NordVPN and Private Internet Access, neither of which are particularly cheap but serve my needs as I travel a lot.
Customer / Moderator
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@shutter wrote:

On the reverse of that.... I have a friend in Germany, who is trying to access UK tv..with no-luck, either,... . he has tried using Winscribe, with his location set as UK, but it keeps saying he must disable ablocker,... but he doesn`t have adblocker... he normally uses Google Chrome, but has tried it also with Firefox... both say the same thing..

Any offers  ? ? ? 

@shutter

If you wanted to help your friend in Germany, you could set up a VPN server at your end (either on your router or a PC) and let him access UK TV via your connection.  This will probably depend on how good (fast) your own Internet connection is, and if you wanted to set up the VPN in your router then that would need to be a capable device.

If your friend in Germany is able to access Austrian TV maybe he could do the same for you in reverse?

My brother in Sweden and I have such a reciprocal arrangement which works very well. He's able to access UK catch-up TV etc., and although I have no desire to watch Swedish TV I can access certain sites which are blocked by some UK ISPs. Saves paying for commercial VPNs!

shutter
Community Veteran

@MisterW  Thanks for the info... will pass that on,... he is 17... so will probably understand more than me ! ! .

@dvorak OK... thanks again...

strangely... I can watch ORF2.( and that is with NO vpn running ! ! )     . but not ORF1.. it says some kind of error .but as usual... no way to find out what that error means, or how to eradicate it ! ! .

( yes, I am using the HTML5 )

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN  Thank you for that idea... and a good solution, should I be able to do that... however... my computer skill is on the lower end !... so I don`t think I could set that kind of operation up..I don`t even know how to set up a remote access to help someone elses computer.! ! .

The router I have got is the Plusnet issued ADSL router thomson tg5n or something.. a few years old now, but still doing it`s job... also my internet speed is just under 5megs...

dvorak

@shutter - maybe this will help https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/6-months-of-avira-phantom-vpn-pro-free-3136926
Customer / Moderator
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@shutter

Perhaps I should have mentioned that upload speed is also relevant as your connection would in effect be streaming to your friend.  Maybe that would be an excuse to upgrade to (probably) VDSL2 ?

Regarding setting up a VPN server on a router (preferable), it can be pretty straightforward - at least it was in our case, both using DrayTek routers (no modem sections required in our case as we're both on proper fibre connections).

I don't know anything about any of the PN supplied routers but I doubt they have VPN server capability, but you might find something suitable on eBay at a reasonable price.

And no doubt people on here will offer their assistance if necessary!

shutter
Community Veteran

@dvorak  Thanks for the research.!  and that linky.... will investigate that later on... just got back home from shopping !

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN  Sounds "super techy" ... ! .. and yes, indeedy, the upload speedy... not great from me to the net !.

As for the other ideas in your post.... I AM a Yokshuman, despite residing south of Watford !.. (on the sunny south coast, temp 6.5c ! ).  and my wallet is firmly entrenched in the Yokshuman`s culture, of  the old Yokshuman`s anthem

see all,   hear all,   say nowt ,

eat all,   sup all,   pay nowt,

and if e`r tha duz owt fer nowt,--

tha duz it fer thissen.

As the program I want to watch is for about 2 hours, the expense and hassle of buying the gear, and changing to fibre etc.etc. would not be worth it...

If I knew the date of the recording of the show, and the location, it would probably be cheaper for me to go and see it live... however... the missus would object... and I certainly could not afford to take her as well... ! !

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@shutter wrote:
Sounds "super techy" ... !

@shutter

Not particularly ... the VPN function is built-in to the router.  So just a case of checking a few boxes and filling in some fields such as Username / Password / PSK server-side, plus server WAN IP address client-side ... easy when following instructions or using a wizard.  Smiley

But I get your point about dusting your wallet off!  Wink

shutter
Community Veteran

Fix

OK... Thanks to all you guys. for your input... and I have learned a lot from it... and.. I managed to dig out my android tablet, and learn some new stuff on that... I`ve had it about 4 years now... and only ever played around on it about 6 or 7 times since..

As for the original query, and the access to the program... I checked with my friend in Germany, and lo and behold, the program is also going to be shown on ZDF or 2DF whichever you prefer... which I can access with no problems...

I passed on that link about the 6 months free, as it is also a german site... so he will be able to sort that, and hopefully he will be able to watch UK tv...( more specifically the Channel 5 site with the "warship -life at sea" series on it.!

So ....all in all,... a good effort...

Thank you all... as always , "much appreciated"..

Wink