cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN connection

emsybunny
Dabbler

VPN connection

Hi guys - can anyone help? I use A VPN connection, was using it for about 3 months before I could no longer connect with it. I could last week. Now I can't! Can anyone help? Plusnet refuse to as they don't support VPN connections but will let me use one. I use checkpoint end point security.
Tags (1)
14 REPLIES 14
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: VPN connection

If it's a VPN you pay to use then you need to contact them direct regarding the problem.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
emsybunny
Dabbler

I've done this already. Unfortunately I've had the reply of, we don't support the use of VPN connections.
terrible service really and I'm tied into a contract. I'd swap suppliers if possible.
Mav
Fixes: 514

I think @gleneagles means you should contact the company supplying the VPN.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

emsybunny
Dabbler

Thanks.
I already have and everything is fine their end.
There are several people on plusnet in my organisation who have the same issue. Everyone else with other suppliers are working fine 😞
I'm not running a business nor is my place of work a business. Seems unfair to block or re-route traffic to make VPN connections not viable.
Mav
Fixes: 514

I occasionally use a VPN without any issues.

Which VPN do you use?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

emsybunny
Dabbler

Check point end point security.
It was working for 2-3 months fine. Then not for 2 weeks. Then I could access - now I can't again.
My IT dept have reported other users having on/off issues too - only plusnet customers
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@emsybunny there are some known issues with certain vpn clients.  I believe it is associated with routing of certain PN IP ranges. See this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/VPN-fine-for-9-months-stopped-working-Jan/m-p/1301062/highli...

One option to fix it seems to be to request a static IP ( one off £5 ) which gives an IP address from an unaffected range

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

emsybunny
Dabbler

Thank you.
Yes I read the other thread. I'm not very technical minded and struggled to understand about static IP addresses, despite my extensive googling!
I wouldn't know how to alter the settings that comes along with doing that. (With no support from Plusnet!)

I think I will have to try and go down the route of formal complaint and try and get out of my contract and go to an amenable supplier. Of the hundreds of us using this connection there's only plusnet customers who have difficulty!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

You don't need to change any settings at all in the router. The IP address is obtained exactly as before, it's just that you are always allocated the same one. The main difference is that the static ones are allocated from a completely different IP range which doesn't have the routing issues with some vpn clients

think I will have to try and go down the route of formal complaint and try and get out of my contract and go to an amenable supplier.

You might struggle to get out of the contract because as I understand it the problem is really in the Vpn clients. My understanding is that some of the recent Plusnet IP ranges used to be used as internal addresses ( by BT ? ) .Some older vpn clients incorrectly trap these addresses as being internal and so don't allow them to be routed correctly.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

@emsybunny wrote:
I think I will have to try and go down the route of formal complaint and try and get out of my contract and go to an amenable supplier. Of the hundreds of us using this connection there's only plusnet customers who have difficulty!

I did not read the whole of the other thread but the common factor seemed to be Plusnet customers using Checkpoint Endpoint Security.  Why should Plusnet cop all the blame?

emsybunny
Dabbler

Thank you for your help. Smiley may have to go down this route.
emsybunny
Dabbler

Be use of their refusal to help!
I can't go into on a public forum what I do for a living - we use a very secure VPN for a reason. Like I said - I'm not running a business with it!
Plusnet are the only supplier who will not help support any VPN issues at all.
All other suppliers do not cause problems with other users, and also help them if they have issues!
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I think you have a very rose-tinted view of what other suppliers will do for you.  Contacting Plusnet may require a long wait but their tech. support is pretty good.  BT won't even help you with email client software like Outlook! 

emsybunny
Dabbler

To repeat myself - I have spoke to them, and they refuse to help with anything to do with VPN.