Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

VPN Speed choked??

11 REPLIES 11
chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: VPN Speed choked??

If you have chosen a package that restricts VPN speeds; Then yes.
See Expected Speeds
chillypenguin
Grafter

This link is better; http://usergroup.plus.net/070920_bbywcomp3.php, as Plusnet don't state the level of the restrictions.
VPN on BBYW1 is limited to 128k.
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Thanks for that; for a VPN connection ,which of the types listed eg Peer-to-Peer is most relevant to ascertain VPN speed?Huh
paulby
Grafter

VPN will run at line speed on all packages except BBYW Option 1 where it is restricted to 128k.
This page wil give you some more info.
On the expected speeds charts it falls under "Everything Else" although it's not explicitly shown as restricted on Option 1 (I'm trying to find the page that lists the Option 1 restriction).
chillypenguin
Grafter

The restrictions on VPN are not very clear on the Plusnet site;
Expected Speeds Plusnet just indicate BBYW1 is `not suitabe`

Broadband Your Way Option 1 is ideal for web surfing and email. It is not suitable for frequent gaming, binary USENET, Peer-to-Peer, VPN, FTP or lots of music and video downloads.

And BBYW2 only for `occasional` VPN!
Broadband Your Way Option 2 is ideal for all general Internet activities and occasional gaming and VPN. Designed to cater for some, although light, binary USENET, Peer-to-Peer, VPN or music/video downloads.

I had to go to the link:usertools to find a referance to 128K
Nick_Russell
Grafter

I have mentioned this so many times that I'm even getting bored with this response myself!!!
I just cannot understand why Option 1 customers have VPN restricted. I want to move my mother onto PlusNet Option 1 as she only has dial up at the moment and I use VPN to connect to her to sort out her PC problems to save me a 125 mile round trip. The VPN restrictions means that the connection speed would not be much better that dial up.
As Option 1 customers pay for data above 2 GB it is hardly going to be used for business customers or those with serious VPN usage...or do PlusNet really think that a heavy VPN user will use Option 1 if this has unrestricted VPN but will not pay the extra £5 to get Option 2 without restrictions?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Why do you need VPN to remotely administer her PC? By setting port forwarding rules on my router I've controlled my home PC from work without VPN.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and while your at it sign you mum up to the new BBYW1 offer and get 10Gb for life for free instead of 2Gb
Nick_Russell
Grafter

I'm not sure I do need VPN. I use TeamViewer and RealVNC that I assume PlusNet regard as VPN applications.  What about LogMeIn - is this classed as VPN?
jelv - what software do you use to connect from work to home?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I've not done it recently since I now work from home but I used to use pcAnywhere
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Nick_Russell
Grafter

How do PlusNet classify VPN traffic? Is it by port? RealVNC needs an open port 5800 or 5900 but TeamViewer or LogMeIn doesn't. Don't know about pcAnywhere.