Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOIP with Linux

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

VOIP with Linux

I "installed" the recommended X-Lite software - big mistake!
When I tried to configure it I was given a really massive menu and apparently the Linux version contains zero help if you are using NAT - as everyone should be.
I'm asked about STUN proxies etc etc
Does anyone have an installation guide for X-Lite on Ubuntu?
I have Skype installed - no nonsense about proxies and other complexities.
Skype works - but I would like to use my free minutes!
I've looked at a few other SIP compliant packages, but I can't match the dialogue questions with PlusNet's parameter settings.
BTW When I unpacked that X-Lite and ran the install it put a load of "stuff" somewhere - obviously I would like to be able to remove this if X-Lite is a dead duck.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

9 REPLIES 9
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: VOIP with Linux

Does this help? I know its for Windows but it may give you the necessary config info to configure it on Linux.
VileReynard
Hero

Unfortunately not!
I did try to use the Windows set-up and it's partially useful. However, X-Lite gives you about 20 menu options which have to be filled in and they don't all map to the Windows options.
For example, you can't just select "Topology" and there is no apparent way to enter port numbers.

Simon_M
Grafter

This is a bit of a guess, but it sounds as if the Linux version of X-Lite is like the older X-Lite for Windows, where you do have a very detailed setup screen.
Don't knock it - you are the lucky one! The new Windows easy configure version is fine if it all works, but an absolute pain if you do need to change anything beyond the basics.
I still have an old version of X-Lite for Windows on my laptop, so ask about any specific settings you want to know about & I'll try & answer. I've got it working with Plusnet VoIP, although my settings are not typical because I'm using NAT behind a SIP aware router, so don't need STUN. I do know what most of the settings need to be for a standard NAT router though.
VileReynard
Hero

OK Here goes:-
According to my account summary my Phone settings are:-
SIP address:- sip:plustalk@moiety.plus.com
SIP ID:- 123456 [actually it's a 6 digit number]
email address:- jeremyboden@gmail.com
I reinstalled the X-lite with administrator privileges [root in Linux speak]. I think it doesn't run as an install - more of a monolithic executable???
==========================================
Because there was a previous install all the menus are different.
==========================================
It starts with (eventually) a debug message of:-
Discovered Port Restricted Cone NAT Firewall
The attachments show the system settings menu, the Network menu and the SIP settings menu (hopefully in that order). There are quite a lot of other menus as well...
192.168.0.1 is my router (firewall) address and I can do quite a lot with it - certainly open ports and do port forwarding.
Thanks in advance...

Simon_M
Grafter

Yep, that does indeed look like the old X-Lite setup screens. Now I come to look at mine, I realise that I have fewer answers than I thought, because although I am behind a NAT router, I don't have to go through all the usual hoops to get through it because it knows all about SIP & does it for me (Intertex IX-67).
I'll have a go.
Network - my settings are as yours except where mentioned.
Listen on IP: blank
NAT Firewall IP: blank - although yours looks equally correct.
Outbound SIP Proxy: blank, but see below under Sip Proxy.
Force firewall type: blank
Primary/Secondary STUN server: blank, cos I don't need it, but you should probably use one or more of the following:
stun.counterpath.net
stun.sipgate.net:10000
stun.fwdnet.net:3478

SIP Proxy
Go into Proxy [default] & set the following
Enabled: Yes
Display name: your name - can be anything
Username: 123456 - SIP ID provided by Plusnet
Authorisation User: 123456 as above
Password: as provided by Plusnet
Domain/Realm:: sip.plus.net
SIP Proxy: sip.plus.net
Out Bound Proxy: blank, but you can experiment with sip.plus.net
Use Outbound Proxy: Default
Send Internal IP: mine is 'always', but I think you may need 'never' - experiment
See where that gets you. First job is to get it to register - then we'll see if you can actually talk both ways!
chillypenguin
Grafter

Give http://ekiga.org/ a try.
It will guide you towards setting up one of their accounts, don't just use yur PlusTalk SIP settings.

No offence intended, that my screenshot is from the Windows version.
Chilly
VileReynard
Hero

Thanks "Simon M" & "chillypenguin"!
Simon - you were spot on all with all your X-lite settings (I didn't need to play with the settings - did you know it thinks there 13 different kinds of firewall - I chose "Full Cone NAT Firewall" (I saw that in some debug output. It works - but the microphone sounds weak.
chillypenguin - I very much prefer ekiga - especially as there is a 64 bit ubuntu (and all other distros) package available. There are only about 6 non-obvious parameters - as supplied by you. One minor point - you also need to change in preferences,Network the name of the stun server to Simon's "stun.counterpath.net".
I will play with both approaches tomorrow - but PlusNet should probably consider switching to ekiga (there is a Windows beta release of it) and of course it's totally free.

chillypenguin
Grafter

PlusNet has consulted with the PUG over which SIP client software to recommend. And Ekiga was suggested (by myself) but as the Windows Client is only in Beta, it was ruled out.
Another suggestion was http://www.openwengo.org/ (LiamM)
What they are looking for is a client that can be preconfigured with the PlusNet settings, so that the user only has to enter their personal details.
And there has even been talk about a smartphone option  Wink
Chilly
[Sorry the wrong their removed]
VileReynard
Hero

Well I think that's a reason to dump X-lite.
Anyway having successfully installed both X-lite (very difficult) and Ekiga (very simple).
I did previously load wengophone - but all these packages suggest subscriptions to their web sites and I assumed that this meant I wouldn't get the free minutes from PlusNet (my mistake).
Anyway, using a headset purchased off of ebay (very cheap) and the left earphone no longer works but...
Sound quality and ease of use - go for Ekiga every time
X-lite has drop-outs and is only useful as a toy.
I would expect Wengo to be as good as Ekiga.
However, VOIP from a PC would appear to be only reliable for non-essential chat (i.e. mobile phone quality).
I suspect that it's necessary to buy a hardware VOIP phone which could connect through my wireless router.
BTW That 7000 delay test isn't of much use (the delay is too short to be noticeable). Try putting the loudspeakers on and giving the microphone a bang - it takes several seconds before the feedback gets excruciating loud!