cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOIP phone - can't connect Gigaset DX800A

FIXED
Doonhamer5

VOIP phone - can't connect Gigaset DX800A

Hi, I'm trying to connect a VOIP phone.  I've tested that VOIP works OK with SIPgate & my wireless network on my laptop using a Phone app.

I bought a Gigaset DX800A and connected it by ethernet cable to my router (bridge extension) but it says no internet connection.  I took it through and connected it directly to the Plusnet router and got the same issue.  I can see it's connected to the network OK but just not getting any internet.

Any ideas?

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: VOIP phone - can't connect Gigaset DX800A

@Doonhamer5 Hi,

Does the DX800 get an IP address successfully from the router ? I guess it does since you say

I can see it's connected to the network OK

I assume you're seeing it on the network display of the router ?

What exactly is reporting 'no internet' connection ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Doonhamer5

Hi MisterW,

Yes the DX800 has an IP address and I can log into it from my laptop.  When I try to enter my sipgate settings via my laptop it fails to retrieve a list of countries from the internet.  If I try to use the connection wizard on the DX800, the DX800 tells me it can’t connect to the internet.

Initially I thought it was because my Apple TC network extension I’d connected it to was in bridge mode, but I subsequently connected the phone directly to the Plusnet router and still get the same problem (so I’m no longer about to try home plugs).  Now thinking that it might be the phone itself, but it’s brand new.

Any ideas?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Fix

Maybe it just can't reach the Gigaset server for some reason. Have you tried configuring the Sipgate settings manually ?

This should help https://basichelp.sipgate.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/204236901-Siemens-Gigaset

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Doonhamer5

Hi, yes I’d tried that too.  When I clicked on ‘Select VOIP provider’ it couldn’t connect to select a list of providers by country.  I think what I’ll try next is to take the DX800 to my mum’s to see if it’ll work over her internet connection.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Looking at the manual it seems similar to my C475IP, you ought to be able to bypass the 'select voip provider' and configure it manually.

From this gradwell setup link https://support.gradwell.com/hc/en-gb/articles/215555583-How-to-configure-the-Gigaset-range-of-IP-Ph... , you ought to be able to use the following from the the web configurator

Click Settings tab from the top of the screen, followed by Telephony from the left hand menu. Now select the edit button under IP Connection and click on Show Advanced Settings.

and then enter your sipgate details

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Doonhamer5 wrote:

... it can’t connect to the internet.

Any ideas?

@Doonhamer5

Presumably the 'IP Configuration' (or similar) section on the Gigaset is showing the correct IP address(es) for Gateway and DNS Server etc.?  AFAIK the Gateway should be the LAN address of your router.

(Although as @MisterW is a bit of an expert on this stuff I'm sure he would have pointed this out if it was a possible cause.)  Smiley

Doonhamer5

Hi, thanks - this has fixed it!  I can't have read the instructions carefully enough the first time.  Thanks so much!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@RobPN good point about the Gateway & DNS although if the DX800 is similar to other Gigaset phones then I'm not sure you can see the Gateway & DNS server addresses if it's using DHCP. Certainly can't see them on my C475. So I'm assuming that if it's getting an IP OK, it's getting Gateway & DNS OK , maybe not a valid assumption !

An option to check out that possibility would be to set the DX800 to Static IP.

Assuming the Hub one is at defaults:-

Set IP to 192.168.1.1

Submask 255.255.255.0

Gateway 192.168.1.254

DNS 192.168.1.254 ( or maybe try OpenDNS 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220 )

@Doonhamer5 our posts crossed. Obviously ignore the above.

Glad you got it workingSmiley

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@MisterW wrote:

@RobPN good point about the Gateway & DNS although if the DX800 is similar to other Gigaset phones then I'm not sure you can see the Gateway & DNS server addresses if it's using DHCP. Certainly can't see them on my C475. So I'm assuming that if it's getting an IP OK, it's getting Gateway & DNS OK , maybe not a valid assumption !

@MisterW

I don't know about the DX800 either, but all those settings can be seen on the N300 IP.  They're greyed out if set to Obtain IP automatically, but are all changeable if Static IP is chosen from within the N300.  Personally, I have mine allocated a static IP address by my DrayTek router.