Did you mean: 

VOIP.... an IT simpleton's questions

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

VOIP.... an IT simpleton's questions

Sorry if the answers are obvious elsewhere
Do you need a special type of router?
Do you have to have a headset or is the phone like any ordinary/DECT hand-held?
Can you have more than one phone? can the phones be dual purpose, allowing dialling out to and receiving in through the BT system if the computer is down? Base station and slave as in ordinary cordless?
The use must tale up any usage allowance: for say 15 hours of calls a month how much is used? Is use affected by traffic shaping issues/

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
12 REPLIES 12
puddy
Grafter

Re: VOIP.... an IT simpleton's questions

My router has a built in voip ports which means you can connect a normal phone (Speedtouch 716wl v5 sold by plusnet)
or you could buy a voip adapter which plugs in to a spare port on your router (linksys pap2) for less than £20 including free p&p on ebay.  The pap2 gives you 2 lines and you plug a normal phone in to that.  This is the cheapest option.
Both are very easy to setup and work with plus net voip service.
Puddy
ps call quality is excellent nobody you call can tell the differance
gazzhop

Just as an extra to the above reply -
You can use a 'softphone' which is a software phone which can use your existing mic and speakers etc.
I have a Asterisk box which uses different 'softphones' and all use my headphones that have a built in mic.
I would recommend this as it is easier to set up and is a cheap way of using VOIP.
puddy
Grafter

no as I said get yourself a linksys pap2 adapter plug an old phone in to that.  You will be able to make calls with the computer off and line qualilty better too. 
Dont waste money on a old mic and software whats £17 and you can have 2 extra lines with pap2
puddy
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: puddy
no as I said get yourself a linksys pap2 adapter plug an old phone in to that.  You will be able to make calls with the computer off and line qualilty better too. 
Dont waste money on a old mic and software whats £17 and you can have 2 extra lines with pap2
puddy

But it would appear that you are forced to signup with a VOIP provider (ie most calls cost money) - this kind of negates quite a bit of the PlusNet VOIP service.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Simon_M
Grafter

These handsets work very nicely with a softphone & are ideal for trying out the concept without spending a fortune.
They work with any software that would otherwise use a mic & speakers or headphones, not just VoIP. Very handy if you occasionally want to listen to something quietly or privately - just pick up the handset, listen, then put it down again to revert to the speakers.
Only suitable in conjunction with external speakers - won't switch laptop internal speakers on & off of course.
As axisofevil says, be careful when buying adapters to make ordinary phones into IP phones - some are locked to certain providers & won't let you register with Plustalk. You need to ensure that they are 'open'.
VileReynard
Hero

A related question - possibily a bit naive - but I have a local wifi connection (feeding into a router connected to a BT line).
I believe it's possible to buy a wifi voip handset - but how expensive would these be?

Simon_M
Grafter

From memory, £120-£150
If that hasn't put you off, I'll look for a link.
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: Simon
From memory, £120-£150
If that hasn't put you off, I'll look for a link.

No - I'm put off!

Moggy
Grafter

Does anyone know if I can use this phone with plusnet VOIP please RTX Dualphone 3088. It looks good and has a good write up on Dabs.
If I can use this I'll be back for setup request for dummies.
Also does Plusnet sell this type of hardware? If they do it's blinking hard to find on website.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

No , looking at the user guide its a Skype only phone. You need a phone or ATA that supports the SIP protocol to allow use with PlusTalk
Edit:  There is a different model, RTX Dualphone 3081 which appears to be a SIP phone . That should work with PLusTalk although I have no experience of using it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Moggy
Grafter

Ian,
Topman, thanks for that.
Does anyone else have recommendations please....?
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: lucerne
Sorry if the answers are obvious elsewhere
Do you need a special type of router?

No get a linksys pap2 adapter to start with this will plug in to a normal spare router port (£20) cheaper than a mic and headset (i can get these)
Do you have to have a headset or is the phone like any ordinary/DECT hand-held?

Siemens gigabit phone will do all 3 dect BT and Voip (use this myself) (£70) With a pap2 or speedtouch 716wl ver5 router will work with an ordinary phone.
Can you have more than one phone? can the phones be dual purpose, allowing dialling out to and receiving in through the BT system if the computer is down? Base station and slave as in ordinary cordless?

Siemens again (amazon sell these)As with any cordless phone that runs of mains power it will not dial 999 without power always have at least 1 ordinary phone in the house
The use must tale up any usage allowance: for say 15 hours of calls a month how much is used? Is use affected by traffic shaping issues

You need to ask F9 here but I have had no problems here myself
Puddy