Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VNC - which brand?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

VNC - which brand?

There seem to be (at least) three brands of VNC:

Does anyone have any advice on the relative merits?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
11 REPLIES 11
chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: VNC - which brand?

My preference is UltraVNC, because of the file transfer facility.
TightVNC has the best security (I beleve)  but I have never used it.
RealVNC, is commercial, and its been a long time since I have used it, but very Ronseal, Does what is says on the tin.
What is you particular application?
Chilly
jelv
Seasoned Hero

There is a Free Edition of RealVNC which does not have all the facilities of the Personal and Enterprise editions.
I'm remotely supporting a client in  London and from time to time have to look at what they are doing on the screen. I'm also doing development work on a PC dedicated to my use and need to be able to print to my local printer. I have a VPN connection to their network.
We've always used pcAnywhere (currently using v11.5) and it's met all the needs. But having recently replaced two machines with much faster boxes - with associated change from Windows 2000 to XP, I'm finding occasional lockouts, PC crashes and failure of the screen to update at my end (although I can see them moving the mouse!).
We considering upgrading to the latest pcAnywhere - or switching.
For development on the dedicated PC I'm finding Remote Desktop is fine. I need something that provides simultaneous screens for me to look at what they are doing or for me to show them.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

I use RWW (Remote Web Workplace) and RDP (Remote Desktop) to access Win2K3 servers and tightVNC when accessing W2K servers or desktops.
For Unix access I use tightVNC which works fine with most vncserver processes on the Linux boxes.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Peter, what I specifically need is software to "snoop" on the current session on a XP Pro desktop - or to log in on the desktop so that I can show people at the other end how to do things. Unless I'm reading things wrong, I don't think RWW or RDP do that?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

It wasn't clear from your first post what you wanted Wink
I know tightVNC can do the login so people can see what you are doing. Not sure about snooping, which I assume you want to see what they are doing without them actually knowing, as I have never tried it.
Note: TghtVNC does not work with Vista if that was a planned target system.
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: chillypenguin
My preference is UltraVNC, because of the file transfer facility.
TightVNC has the best security (I beleve)  but I have never used it.

I used UltaVNC internally for the same reason, but TightVNC also has file transfer now, so I use that with all external clients. UltraVNC seemed to be perpetually in beta & TightVNC seems to have overtaken it recently.
TghtVNC does not work with Vista if that was a planned target system.

TightVNC will work on Vista, but it is prone to drop outs every time Vista asks the user for permission to do anything (all the time, in other words!). You really need someone at both ends of the connection for it to be any use with Vista. It's ok for emergency assistance, but not for remote operation.
samuria
Grafter

There is a full review of all these products in Pc pro or computer shopper probaly thi smonths. I say that as I subscribe I am up to december issue and it was in last month november.
Dameware is another good tool as you can install their mini remote control remotley and you get other tools as well if you buy everything. get it from
http://www.dameware.com/products/dmrc/
30 day trial and it works on Vista which may be a big plus I know I trie dit
Nick_Russell
Grafter

I use RealVNC to save a 150 mile round trip to sort out my mother's PC.  Works very well and easy set up. Only missing factor is file transfer in free version but I can live without that.
Walter
Rising Star

As a first timer I tried TightVNC, found it a dodle, no problem setting up.  I can use it Linux to Windows, Windows to Windows Linux to Linux. I used it to remotely update my wifeś computer and even switch it off at my own desktop.  Wink
asdesign

we use ultravnc and ultravnc sc in over 100 locations including vista
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Walter
I used it to remotely update my wifeś computer and even switch it off at my own desktop.  Wink

Not while she was using it I hope!  Wink
I'm giving ultraVNC a go - it seems to do almost everything I want - the only thing missing which is in pcAnywhere is the ability to print from the host direct to my local printer. I've found a way round this however - I've installed PDFCreator on the host which enables me to print from any application direct to a PDF file which I can then transfer and print locally.