Did you mean: 

VM's

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

VM's

Hi
I'm after some advice before I jump in to it.  I'm thinking of setting up a virtual environment to play with a few bits and after some advice on both the software and hardware.  I'm currently looking at keeping the costs as low as possible.  I want to run a linux distro (suggestions welcome on this as well!), a Windows 2003 server and a Windows 2008 server, though I may want multiple of all of them at some point.
So anyone got any recomendations on VM software and minimum hardware requirements you'd go for with them?
Many thanks
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

14 REPLIES 14
VileReynard
Hero

Re: VM's

Why run Windows as a server?
I could see you might consider Windows as a client.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Because that's what he wants to do?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

It'll all be for ASP.NET websites, Exchange and PowerShell developments, so Windows is pretty vital.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

matt_2k34
Grafter

I was playing with ESXi - which is veryyy nice, and pretty slick. When running multiple VMs more RAM = better, obviously.
The requirements for ESXi are quite high, was running it on a Q6600, with 6GB ram (8+ would of been better) with 3 VMs, Server 2k3, 2k8 and a linux distro.
Unfortunately had hardware fail before i could properly get into it. (was having a few issues with performance, when trying to fix this, the I/O controller died so ended up bodging and going back to single OS) Sad
ESXi is free too, ESXi 4 is 64bit only however. Well worth the download imho, even if its just to play with it.
Regards
Waldo
Grafter

The free Citrix XenServer might be worth a look; I think that's what Sean Branagh is using (hopefully he'll read this and add his tuppence worth).
chillypenguin
Grafter

If you are looking at VMWare, I would recommend running it on CentOS not Ubuntu. And with any VM system memory and lots of it is key. Don't let the system cache to disk and that really hits performance.
Otherwise have fun.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks a lot guys, I'll take a look at them.  One more question, anyone know about running MacOS on any of these?  I've seen a bit saying it possible with some hacks on some VMs, and in other places it talks about it being only possible with Mac hardware.  I was just thinking it might be worth while (if it's possible) so I could have a play about with iPhone apps.
Thanks
Phil

Anonymous
Not applicable

Regarding the iPhone apps, I found this iPhone open toolchain on Ubuntu VM, and there are several other similar 'how-to' develop iPhone apps on Linux results on Google.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks purleigh, that's worth thinking about.
Phil

Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: pjmarsh
One more question, anyone know about running MacOS on any of these?  I've seen a bit saying it possible with some hacks on some VMs, and in other places it talks about it being only possible with Mac hardware.

IIRC the Apple EULA prohibits installation on non-Mac branded hardware. Steve Jobs will have you on the naughty step if you choose to disregard it  Smiley

matt_2k34
Grafter

However there are various torrent websites which have Apple VMs premade to XYZ specs, all you need to do is match the hardware to the specs and load the given vmdk.
sometimes works, often doesnt.
i'd recommend one of the other tools though for iphone app building. X-code is horrible as is, i wouldnt wanna use it in a laggier VM.
Regards
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks Matt
Phil

Picnic
Grafter

Quote from: Waldo
IIRC the Apple EULA prohibits installation on non-Mac branded hardware. Steve Jobs will have you on the naughty step if you choose to disregard it  Smiley

If you bought your OSX you'll get 2 Apple stickers, if you put these on your computer does that make it Apple branded?  Roll_eyes Grin
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

it used to... not anymore though Wink
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'