Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VLC playback screen size

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

VLC playback screen size

Using GOMPlayer ( windows ) or  SM Player on Linux Mint 19.2 it is possible to "fix" the playback screen size ( not Full screen or small screen...but a "personal" sizing somewhere beween the two)  to anysize and this will be used for all videos on the play list...

When using VLC player.. (Linux Mint 19.2 ) it reverts back to "small screen" size at the start of a new video in the play list..  and I have to manually drag and adjust the screen size, every time.....

I have tried the setting in VIDEO but cannot seem to find the right one to "fix" the "personalized" screen size ..

Any ideas , please....

6 REPLIES 6
daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

Re: VLC playback screen size

shutter
Community Veteran

@daveplus Thanks for that link... will have a look later this afternoon... initial work, only gives small(ish) window centre screen... not one that I can adjust to ( say 3/4 of computer screen)  so I can still see back ground /desktop other programs that I am running at same time, in background.

There is an alternative way, involving some "code" changes..... but from reading on, it may "degrade" the actual video quality, as VLC is somehow coded to give the best resolution according to the file/type/size regardless of window size.... and forcing it to show a bigger video screen, will degrade those smaller video files....

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@shutter wrote:

... and forcing it to show a bigger video screen, will degrade those smaller video files....

@shutter 

If the files you're referring to are smaller due to lower resolution as I suspect (rather than compression) then displaying them over a larger screen area than the resolution they were shot in will give a degraded appearance due to one pixel from the video having to be displayed by more than 1 pixel on the screen - you can't display what isn't there in the first place!

True, there may be some programs that might interpolate the change from one pixel to the next and add that 'extra' information, but you can't make a silk purse from a sows ear!  Wink

Edit:  added missed word in italics.

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN  Yep !.... I know that....Roll_eyes

So... it looks like, although VLC seems to have better sound quality reproduction, compared to SM Player on LINUX MINT 19.2    and GOM Player on Windows ( which I don`t have now... and GOM player will not run under WINE CryCryCry) ...  It looks like I shall have to make do with SM Player, and see if I can tweak the sound better to my earoles  ( headphones - no hearing aids ) with the Equaliser...

Just going to have a play around with VLC one more time ! ! ...

shutter
Community Veteran

Well, I had another look at VLC   and could not get any satisfaction... so I googled best video player for Linux Mint19...

downloaded and installed about 4... that did not meet requirements.... but eventually found one called Xine   which seems to do the job.... drag the screen size and position, and it stays there... the sound quality seems to be much better than SMplayer and VLC... so.. I think I`ll stick with that for the time being and see how it runs.... first impressions are really good though...

shutter
Community Veteran

UPDATE ! ! ..

Well, I could not find anything suitable for my needs... xine worked pretty well, but only as a compromise, due to the sound quality being better than VLC... 

as a trial... i thought i would download GOMPLAYER... which is windows software.... and see if it would run with WINE.....#It`s been a couple of years since i tried it...  and YAY... It works...so i`m going to go back to using that....