cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using your TV as PC Monitor

community
Grafter

Using your TV as PC Monitor

Unusually for me, I have some advice to give rather than continually seeking it!!
I took all this morning to find out that if you want to use your TFT TV Monitor as a PC monitor (providing your particular TV will allow that)
you need to match the Resolution of your PC Display setup to the recommended resolution of the TV manufacturer.
I was continually getting a ""Unknown Format" notice on my TV screen, so I sat down and read the TV manual.
Mine (Sanyo TFT 26") will not recognise any format above 768 vertical so when I reduced my resolution to 1024 x 768 it worked.
Hope to have helped someone
cheers
2 REPLIES 2
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Using your TV as PC Monitor

In general most TV's have a lower resolution than most computer monitors.
So you can (with the right converters) easily use a PC monitor to watch TV, but the converse is only realistic with the latest model TV's.
I've got an ANCIENT Phillips computer monitor (from a very early PC and also used on an Atari) which makes an excellent TV when plugged into a VCR or Digibox - it has CVBS and SCART input and even an internal speaker. I suspect it was based on a TV chassis in some way, but has a much better quality tube for PC use.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Using your TV as PC Monitor

Yes we used to have a Atari monitor too. Rather odd thing it was... couldn't play games on it for some highly annoying reason. Always had to plug it into the TV instead for that. It used to drive me crazy...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!