cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using xp drivers on a linux o/s

robrow

Using xp drivers on a linux o/s

Does anyone know if it's possible to run my printer and scanner with xp drivers from fedora 7? At present I dual boot, will in due course use the free vm/ware to import xp into fedora, will I then be able to send printing from fedora to my xp printer, and import scans from my xp scanner. Failing this method could any suggest how I might achieve it.
                                  robrow
14 REPLIES 14
chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: Using xp drivers on a linux o/s

What model of printer do you have?
Chilly
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Wine is about the only way I could think of, though this is shaky with drivers due to the level of emulation required. As Chilly says, do you have the printer make and model number? It would be a lot easier to install dedicated linux drivers for this to work properly.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Would Wine work? Is that more for running applications.
WMWare is great, I run it on my Linux box, and can choose a Windows XP session, at login. (In fact that is how I am typing this message.)
I am also running a HP deskjet 450 USB, on my Windows XP VM, as I had speed issues running it native from Linux, as a shared network printer.
Chilly
jazz
Grafter

I don't know about the computing aspect of the question but I do feel that a few minutes with a glass of wine is a good start to resolving many problems.  Some say that with enough glasses the problem goes away but I don't subscribe to that view! Grin
robrow

Quote from: chillypenguin
What model of printer do you have?
Chilly

Epson R200 Inkjet, it also prints onto cd media
robrow

Quote from: orbrey
Wine is about the only way I could think of, though this is shaky with drivers due to the level of emulation required. As Chilly says, do you have the printer make and model number? It would be a lot easier to install dedicated linux drivers for this to work properly.

The printer is an Epson R200, do you know of any Linux drivers for it including the driver to print on cd media  robrow
robrow

Quote from: chillypenguin
Would Wine work? Is that more for running applications.
WMWare is great, I run it on my Linux box, and can choose a Windows XP session, at login. (In fact that is how I am typing this message.)
I am also running a HP deskjet 450 USB, on my Windows XP VM, as I had speed issues running it native from Linux, as a shared network printer.
Chilly

When in an XP session through VM, is your internet connection still through Linux? If so that is perhaps the answer. for both printer and scanner.
robrow

Just realized I have sent replies the wrong way, please excuse me as I'm still learning how to use this Forum. 
Needless to say I'm new to Linux, and the response I've had so far from this forum is very encouraging.
Thank you
              Robrow 
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

It should be possible to get it working under Linux
See here
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: robrow
Just realized I have sent replies the wrong way, please excuse me as I'm still learning how to use this Forum. 

No problem, I have sorted them for you  Wink
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: robrow
When in an XP session through VM, is your internet connection still through Linux? If so that is perhaps the answer. for both printer and scanner.

Yes, the networking is handled by VMWare, which acts just like another computer on the network.
Chilly
robrow

Thank you Chilly, I will have a go at setting everything up probably next week and let you know how I've got on with it.
Robrow
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Which version of Linux are you using? If you navigate to:
http://tinyurl.com/yphxr8
you'll find a cached Google page of how to install the Epson R200 to Kubuntu. The installation method will (probably) be identical to that of Ubuntu, and will differ very slightly from other Linux distrobutions. You probably wouldn't be able to print onto CD/DVD however.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

But the OP wants to print on Linux, so you can omit the Samba bits. Just connect the printer to Linux machine (which supplies the printer driver).
Use CUPS to configure - you can use a web interface for this:-
http://localhost:631/ should do it.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."