cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using more than one USB device on Tablet?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Using more than one USB device on Tablet?

I have recently bought one of these.....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261462421183
and so far, am quite pleased with it....
however, it seems that I can only use one USB device  at a time on this... and wonder if "rooting" the device will make it recognise more than one USB device when plugged into something like this....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Ports-Octopus-USB-Hub-Cable-New-Portable-Drive-For-Windows-XP-7-Mac-OS-L...
I already have a 4 port USB hub ( that may be faulty - unknown history )... and when I plug the OTG cable into it, it will only recognise one USB  device...e.g. if I plug in my WIFI dongle, and the keyboard,..( although the 2 ports in use have led indication) the tablet will only recognise one... ...
jim:green Second link changed at the request of the OP mod:end
8 REPLIES 8
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Using more than one USB device on Tablet?

Is it a powered hub ?
Often the device can only physically power one device so by using a powered hub, this takes the load off the host.
shutter
Community Veteran

The one I already have is not powered... however, the Tablet was on mains supply when I tried it ...
picbits
Rising Star

It doesn't matter about the mains for the tablet - the USB port will be specified to output a maximum of either 100ma or 500ma - if you exceed that the device attached will refuse to work in the majority of cases.
If you try it with a powered hub and it still doesn't recognise both devices then your port will only support one device at a time.
shutter
Community Veteran

OK  Thanks for the info.... Wink
shutter
Community Veteran

UPDATE.....
The 4 port Octopus USB hub ......
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Ports-Octopus-USB-Hub-Cable-New-Portable-Drive-For-Windows-XP-7-Mac-OS-L...
Arrived yesterday, and I have been playing with it on my Android tablet..... the second linky in my original post, should have been the one in this post..  

Up till now, I have been using a mouse, and the keyboard, and accessing the USB memory stick, all on the mains powered supply..... just pulled the plug on the mains and it still works all three... I suspect the battery will suffer, if I should keep using it...but it is nice to be able to use them all together.... got one port left for my 3G  WIFI dongle , when I can find a suitable MBB only suplier, that does "proper" payg...!...
picbits
Rising Star

Again, if your combined power requirements from the devices (including the hub) exceed that capable of being provided by the port, things will stop working.
Using a powered hub would also stop the drain on the tablets battery although it may defeat the point of a portable tablet lol.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

first post changed as requested
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks Jim.  Wink