cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using an Apple Mac with Plus net

tgr
Grafter

Using an Apple Mac with Plus net

I am thinking about getting a new PC and changing from a windows PC to Apple.  If I do how will I connect to plus net.  Do I just plug my modem in the back of the apple and if I do will it just connect to plus net when I open the browser.  Any advice would be helpful because I have not used a mac before except to mess about a bit on my sons who is in London and 250 miles away.  Having used windows PCs for years I am wondering whether I should just stay with them.  Thanks in advance for any advice
Gordon
3 REPLIES 3
Not applicable

Re: Using an Apple Mac with Plus net

I had the same dilemma earlier this year.  I had heard good things about Apple Mac, read up about it and had a look but in the end I decided to stick with what I knew (a bit defeatist, I know).  I saved money in the process and am quite happy with Vista, which is perfect for my basic computing needs.  Setting them up on the Internet appeared to be quite easy so I imagine that this won't be a problem.
If you have particular programmes that you like it is obviously worth checking out that they are compatible with Apple (although the same thing applies with Vista).  I guess if you have the time and the motivation to learn a new OS there are advantanges, particularly in the area of security.
paulby
Grafter

You'd need to get the appropriate drivers for the USB Modem (assuming that's what you use).  A better solution would be to get a wired router and plug that into the network (ethernet) socket on the MAC.  You can also use the router with Windows machines in the same way.  All you need to do is put your user name & password into the router via a browser interface (no software to install).

Edit: fixed typo.
tgr
Grafter

Thank you everyone your suggestions have been very helpful
Gordon