cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a Smart DNS Server service, worth the £20 a year or not?

FIXED
Blofeld
Grafter

Using a Smart DNS Server service, worth the £20 a year or not?

Hi

Dont know if this has been already discussed, I had a look but couldn't find anything, so feel free to bump it, if there's already a Topic out there. Recently got an Android Sony TV, which I've got Kodi installed on, like a lot of people ISP's seem to block certain apps or at least cause the live streaming to buffer constantly.

Ive been advised to get a Smart DNS service like this one (https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/) and use it with my ASUS router, but before I stump up my £20 quid or so just wondered if anyone has any dealings in the past with these or any other companies or people's thoughts on using the service, it's supposed to speed up your connection and operates in a different way to a VPN service, so was seriously considering it.

11 REPLIES 11
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Using a Smart DNS Server service, worth the £20 a year or not?

when you say block certain apps, you mean block stuff that you are not supposed to be accessing?
if not, what apps is it you can't currently access ?

you should not need a smartdns service to access content you are entitled to view.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

It'd be worth finding out that cause of your problem before stumping up cash for a solution (which may not turn out to be one after all). Alternatively, the one you linked to offers a free 14-day trial so you could always try it as a shortcut to working out whether it is an appropriate workaround/fix.

Blofeld
Grafter

First chenks76 I don't know what your getting it when you say "apps your not supposed to be accessing" and then something about "content you are allowed to view"????? I clearly stated it was for the use of my android box (Sony TV) and can easily speculate that 75% of the people on this forum, use Kodi wether via a firestick or android box. So unless your the "you can't watch football police" I felt quite disrespected by the nature of your comments.

I'm not trying to watch or access any apps that I'm not allowed too, I'm trying to get a decent connection so I can watch the footy! Currently primewire, ice etc are blocked by the majority of ISP's, so if your a user of Kodi it can affect your connection when streaming live content.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Fix

Smartdns appear to be offering a proxy via VPN service. Nothing wrong with that but if your ISP connection is flaky then the VPN won't be the most reliable either - it travels the same way through your ISP!

As for dns itself, that won't make any difference. Plusnets DNS servers will return the same IP address results as any other DNS servers, it's the actual connection via the plusnet system you have a problem with.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Blofeld
Grafter

Thanks mate, that answered my question cheers
Dewi34
Hooked

I used to use SmartDNS to access UK content from France. Never worked out how it worked but it was excellent. I just had to change the DNS server on the devices I needed access to from (Humax, Wii etc.)

Their support was really responsive when needed.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

It works by using their DNS servers. When you make an outbound DNS request their servers will issue IP addresses to their own systems which your browser and other clients will then connect to. Their systems will then (as with any proxy) make an outbound connection on your behalf and then forward traffic between the two by acting as a middleman.

VPN will do the same thing it's just a different method.

When the ISPs connection itself is unreliable though then a proxy will not change that.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Blofeld
Grafter

Thanks 7up that answered my question, cheers mate
Blofeld
Grafter

Thanks Dewi34 that's helped lots, cheers mate
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Couldn't you use Sky Go and whatever official way(s) there are to watch BT Sport online?

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

A number of posts have been removed which were not relevant to the topic and the thread is now locked

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still