cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using S-J-Phone or Net2Phone with PlusNet VOIP ?

PeterBee
Dabbler

Hi, Does anyone know of a DECT Cordless phone that will work with the PlusNet VOIP service.
Neither of the 2 models I bought will work with the X-Lite software.
If anyone knows a make/model that will work with X-Lite please let me know OR know what settings to use to make "S-J-Phone" or "Net2Phone" software to work on PlusNet.
Peter.
20 REPLIES 20
PeterBee
Dabbler

Hi,
I have just a bought a DECT cordless phone that will only work with Skype OR MSN Messenger OR S-J-Phone OR Net2Phone (they didn't tell me that before I bought it  >:().
Does anyone know the settings to use to make either S-J-Phone OR Net2Phone work on the PlusNet VOIP SIP service (I can't seem to translate the settings for X-Lite into "S-J" speak !!!).
I am sure there must be a way; it just needs someone more "SIP expert" than me.
Peter.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Using S-J-Phone or Net2Phone with PlusNet VOIP ?

You need to create a profile for the service:
1. Right-click SJphone, select Options, go to the Profiles tab, and select the New button.
A Create New profile dialog box will appear
2. Select Calls through SIP proxy in Profile type and enter Profile name
3. On the Initialization tab, select Inquired, Saved, Required for Account, Password, and Caller ID.
4. On the SIP Proxy tab, enter sip.plus.net in Proxy domain, username.plus.com in the User domain, substituting username by
your PlusNet account username.
5. Click OK.
A Service... dialog box will appear.
6. Enter:
Account : plustalk OR your SIP ID
Caller ID: plustalk OR your SIP ID
Password: PlusNet account password
and click the OK button.
7. Go to Options->User Information, enter your name in the Name field, and click the OK button.
8. Switch to your new service: Tap Menu, select Services, then your new service.
You might also need to configure a STUN server, try stun.xten.net

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PeterBee
Dabbler

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
It was particularly #6 "Account" where I wasn't sure what to enter.
I'll try it again later.
Peter.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Moderators Note
I have merged two threads by the same OP, on the same subject into a single thread.
Jonathan
aka Chilly
PeterBee
Dabbler

Hi again,
No go I'm afraid.  (It is v 1.65 of SJPhone.)
Done your 1, 2, & 3.
4: On SIP Proxy tab, I have Domain = username.plus.com (my own username), "Use Outbound Proxy" and "Use separate outbound proxy for NAT" are both ticked, Proxy (URI) and NAT Proxy (URI) are both = sip: sip.plus.net and both modes are set to "Smart".
5: On SIP Registration tab, I have "Register with Registrar" and "Unregister only reg contact" both ticked, suggest = 60secs, "Transport" = Default and the other 3 boxes blank.
6: On STUN tab, I have "Use discovered addresses" blank, Server address = stun.xten.net and the next box =5060 and "Advanced options" as default.
7: On the Service:PlusNet box, I have Account = my 6digit Sip ID, PW = my account login PW and caller ID = my 6digit Sip ID
Can you see anything wrong here Huh
Peter.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Seems to be a problem with 1.65 , I installed it and copied my profile from 1.60 and you're right , it doesnt work.
Will investigate further when I have a chance, got to do some work now.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Can't get 1.65 to work at all despite many combinations. You can still download 1.60 from the sjlabs website and 1.65 installs alongside 1.60 so I presume the converse is true. Try installing 1.60 since that seems to work ok!!

Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: PeterBee
Hi, Does anyone know of a DECT Cordless phone that will work with the PlusNet VOIP service.
Neither of the 2 models I bought will work with the X-Lite software.

A DECT Cordless phone won't work with X-Lite - it's an alternative to it.
A standard DECT phone designed to work with your ordinary BT (or equivalent) phone line needs to be connected to your router via an ATA (analogue telephone adapter) to work with Plustalk. You can now buy DECT phones with built in adapters which connect directly to both the phone line & your router. Which model(s) do you own?
The setup of an ATA or suitable 'all-in-one' phone is similar to any of the softphones (X-Lite etc). They all ask for your username & password & a variety of other settings. It is confusing though, because different models ask for the same information under different names.
When setting up any of the phones with Plustalk, I've always found the ID number to work better than the 'plustalk' optional name. If you use the ID number, then 'sip.plus.net' should work everywhere you are asked for anything to do with domain, realm or proxy.
PeterBee
Dabbler

Hi Ian,
I have now downloaded v1.6 and set up a new profile.  But it refuses to register with the message "NAT/Firewall: Blocked".  I have switched off the Windows Firewall and also the one in my Router/ADSL modem but I suspect the problem is an incorrect setting for either "Proxy for NAT" which I set to sip.plus.com and the port set to 5060 or something on the STUN tab (set to stun.xten.net and port 5060).
Peter.
PeterBee
Dabbler

Hi Simon,
The DECT phone is one with built in adapters which connect directly to both the phone line & my USB port.
(The computer "talks to" the phone).
Q "Which model(s) do you own?" It is a non-branded "Cordless Digital Internet/PSTN Phone" compatible with (and only works with) Skype/MSN Messenger/Net2Phone and SJPhone but doesn't work with the X-Lite software from PlusNet.
Peter.
chillypenguin
Grafter

You may need to setup port forwarding on your router.
Chilly
Simon_M
Grafter

... on the STUN tab (set to stun.xten.net and port 5060).

For STUN, try
stun.counterpath.net
with no port setting.
Simon_M
Grafter

The DECT phone is one with built in adapters which connect directly to both the phone line & my USB port.
(The computer "talks to" the phone).
It is a non-branded "Cordless Digital Internet/PSTN Phone" compatible with (and only works with) Skype/MSN Messenger/Net2Phone and SJPhone but doesn't work with the X-Lite software from PlusNet.

That sounds to me like a phone that acts as a cordless DECT phone as far as your landline in concerned & as a USB Handset as far as a compatible Softphone is concerned. I don't think it has a built in ATA - if it had it would have an ethernet connector rather than a USB connector. Does the USB cable connect to your computer or your router? If the computer, then I think it acts as a handset for a softphone; if the router, then it will have a full ATA & you won't need to use a softphone at all.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Peter,
I have attached screen shots of the 3 relevant config screeens from my PJphone setup, the Initialise , SIP and STUN screens.
I havent used SJphone in anger for a while now as I used to have a Voyager 10V ATA which worked fine and now I have managed to configure the voip ports on my 2700HGV router.
Anyway I have just tried running SJphone 1.60 with this config and it registers ok. I have no firewall ports open AFAIK.
Hope this helps