cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Newsgroups or newshosting!

Brynsuperblue52

Using Newsgroups or newshosting!

I use a newshosting group for various things? Does Plusnet throttle my speeds on a Saturdaay afternoon as i am getting a speeds of 56kb, so come on lets have some sense if i am paying for a 80 gb a month packaage at least let me use some bandwidth or i will be leaving a month after i will have joined and i was giving plusnet 5 stars to as the speed for browsing etc is great 9meg is enough even though i only live 70 metres from the exchange.
Brynssuperblue52
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Using Newsgroups or newshosting!

Brynsuperblue52

Quote from: Oldjim
The speed restrictions apply 7 days a week
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml

Thanks for that information so i try at midnight and my speed is 26kb pretty bad but something tells me i should not be surprised i have a line speed of 9meg even if it was 2.5meg after midnight i would be happy. Who do i ask about this or just go to another comapny after my month is up?  Angry
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

The Binary Usenet restrictions are lifted completely at midnight although due to people's schedulers kicking in it may take a while for speeds to stabilise. Are you quoting speeds in kilobits per second or kilobytes per second? The expected speeds on our support pages are all in kilobits per second. 56 kilobytes per second is the same as 448 kilobits per second.
Are you downloading binary content from Usenet? If not then you might want to look at using our text only servers which aren't subject to any rate limiting (the server address is news.plus.net).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Brynsuperblue52

Quote from: Bob
The Binary Usenet restrictions are lifted completely at midnight although due to people's schedulers kicking in it may take a while for speeds to stabilise. Are you quoting speeds in kilobits per second or kilobytes per second? The expected speeds on our support pages are all in kilobits per second. 56 kilobytes per second is the same as 448 kilobits per second.
Are you downloading binary content from Usenet? If not then you might want to look at using our text only servers which aren't subject to any rate limiting (the server address is news.plus.net).

Hi Bob,  Many thanks for the quick reply, I have just started my software just to take a look at the speed i am downloading a video of 736mb and it is downloading at 19KBs and it tells me that it will take 10 hrs 14mins at this speed. I was downloading at 290KBs at 11pm last night which i thought was ok. i am using binary usenet with newzbin and newshosting hope that is a help?
Bryn
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

At this time of day, that's the kind of speed I'd be expecting Plusnet Premium. It has a 164Kb (note the small b) limit, as you're getting 19KB (capital B) that's pretty much spot on.
If you schedule downloads to take place overnight or during the less restrictive periods you may find it better for you?
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml#premiumSpeeds
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Brynsuperblue52

Quote from: Chris
At this time of day, that's the kind of speed I'd be expecting Plusnet Premium. It has a 164Kb (note the small b) limit, as you're getting 19KB (capital B) that's pretty much spot on.
If you schedule downloads to take place overnight or during the less restrictive periods you may find it better for you?
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml#premiumSpeeds

Yes Chris i did note the speeds which i looked at before, But when it is the same speed after midnight i was a little peeved, i will start it off after midnight tonight and hope it gets better as i have no problem with the limits at all. My speed is fine but i would like to DL at a reasonable hour, But hey who cares.