cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using MS SkyDrive

Mav
Fixes: 514

Using MS SkyDrive

About time I started to make use of the 25GB space available.
Up to now I have simply copied files across from one PC to another as and when required and it has been sufficient for my needs - to a point.
Now I have taken receipt of a new laptop mainly for use while doing my OU degree. It seems a good idea to start using SkyDrive to store my files so that I can also work on them  using the PC (which I prefer when at home) and have them available when away/in garden or whatever.
My question...
Is there a best practice method of doing this to keeps files synchronised or is it as simple as just uploading from one machine to SkyDrive at regular intervals and downloading to the other machine when required?
Should I keep the same folder structure on each machine which will be duplicated on SkyDrive?
Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

4 REPLIES 4
hulls
Grafter

Re: Using MS SkyDrive

Hi Mav
I've never used SkyDrive, but if it's the same as Dropbox, then any files that are in the Dropbox folder are automatically synchronised with any machine that you have logged into the folder.  If you update a file while you're off line, then when you go on line it gets synchronised.
Hope that helps.
John
Mav

Cheers.
Maybe I just need to 'suck it and see' Cheesy

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

computing50yrs
Grafter

You just treat skydrive as another hard drive, move stuff into or out of it, but if you want to give someone access to a file or folder you can give them a link via an email
I use Sugarsync to backup my essential files into a special folder called Magic Briefcase  as that is automatic in a similar way to dropbox
Mav

Never having used any 'Cloud' storage before I didn't realise you had to download an app to each PC/laptop to be able to drag and drop files.
I've downloaded it now all seems to work. Just need to get my head round how each device manages to keep with the latest version of any file rather than overwrite it.