Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Linux (2)

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Using Linux (2)

I guess Learning linux is like learning another language and perhaps the younger you are or it's a requirement of your job you will have a good idea of how to deal with problems.
I recently purchased a Brother Laser printer HL 3150 CDW went to their website and installed the software for Linux, did it work ?.........
well yes it did, the first time but any attempt to use it after that and nothing happens, the printer box displays the name of the printer but it fails to work, even tried a cable connection but no luck,
If I was in windows I could simply uninstall the program and reinstall it but Linux ? I have simply no idea where to start as there is no easy way to uninstall or even remember the name of the program to be uninstalled added to that there is something in Linux called cups which I think may be to do with printing so could it be that program that has gone wrong.
Having said all that I can print without any problem to that printer using windows, an android tablet and an ipad so I can understand people getting fustrated with linux.
I am not trying to denigrate Linux as it's all I ever use when on line and I am aware much of it is developed by volunteers but I wish some of the more common programs such as installing common hardware was made easier.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
7 REPLIES 7
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Using Linux (2)

It sounds like it has lost connection to the printer.
Open your printer control panel (under Mint just type printer in the box)
right click on the printer, and check the settings, maybe retry to connect to the printer.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Thanks,
Will give that a go later.
C1Rider
Grafter

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Thanks for that link will have a look at it tomorrow, meanwhile following Hairy McBiker's advice I get the following,
Basic Server Settings box appears with 4 options but nothing ticked.
Advanced Server settings box 3 options, one ticked, 'preserve job history but not files'
Trouble shooting option, following message,
Server not exporting printers, " Although one or more printers printers are being marked as shared this printer server is not exporting shared printers to the network "
Will look into this further tomorrow.
Thanks
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

In the properties box, click the Device URI: Change button.
Then choose Network Printer and see if it is listed.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

OK done that, the printer is listed so I selected it and pressed apply.
message appears, "connected to local host"
However if I go into the word processor and attempt to print I get the message, "could not start your printer, check printer configuration"
As mentioned previously the printer works fine with all other devices so I would rather not start fiddling around with any settings on the printer.
Hard to see what else I can do at this stage.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Assuming you have the widely used CUPS printing system, you could try the web-style interface
http://localhost:631/ in your browser.
This lets you administer local printers (and use different drivers)...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."