cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Username & Password

kilburncat
Grafter

Username & Password

I've followed the procedure for username/password protecting a section of Cry your site here http://community.plus.net/library/tools/how-to-password-protect-your-website/
I've dragged and dropped the htpasswd and htaccess files into the "memfile" (my name for the protected area) in Filezilla, they are both showing, but when I view the site in Firefox (having cleared the cache) I am not prompted for a u/n and password. I wonder what I am doing wrong? What's irritating is that I have done it sucessfully before. Cry
3 REPLIES 3
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Username & Password

Have you made sure to rename them from htaccess.txt and htpasswd.txt to .htacess and .htpasswd?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
kilburncat
Grafter

No I didn't!!!
But I have now Chris and am prompted for u/n and p/w which does not allow me to gain access. Have I failed to do something else?
kilburncat
Grafter

I'm not sure whether I am being a narcissist in replying to my own question but I have discovered what I was doing wrong. You have to put the whole path from htdocs to 'memfile' (my name for the protected area). Smiley