cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User name change in WIN 7 64bit

birdbb2012

User name change in WIN 7 64bit

My laptop was a gift and was setup by the vendor.  Unfortunately it was registered in the giver's name and not mine so that it displays C:user/giver/ etc.  I should like to delete "giver" and substitute my name but have not been able to.  Is there a way?
birdbb2012
5 REPLIES 5
Bazza
Grafter

Re: User name change in WIN 7 64bit

You can change the display name of your account by doing this:
1.  Type accounts into the Start menu, then choose the User Accounts link that appears.
2 . Click the option link to change your user name and save the changes.
This will change the name as shown on the login screen (Welcome screen) and the Start Menu.  It will not change the folder name, however.  This is because the folder is hard-linked to your account in many (hundreds, thousands) of places, and changing the folder name will render your account unusable.
The only way to achieve this is to create a new account, move your files over to that account, then delete the old account:
1. To create a new account go to Control Panel>User Accounts>Add or remove user accounts
2. Create a new account with your name and select Administrator button underneath and select Create Account
Once you have your new account set up as you wish you can delete the old one.
Mav
Fixes: 515

I'm in a similar position with a new laptop set up with a generic name which I would rather change to my own.
Can I assume that all programs I installed (none of them offered the option to install for a specific user) would continue to be available under the new named account and all I would need to do is change any settings to match what I had setup in the old account?
I assume I would have to re-enter all Outlook 2012 email account details (Actually I could just copy/paste (or export/import) the pst file for that.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

For some strange reason of its own, Google Chrome may need to be re-installed.
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Chrome installs itself in the user's app data from their default installer available. To install for all users & in the usual place for programs, you have to do a lot of digging in the chrome site on their help pages.
It also installs an updater service that runs without any user interaction, kind of like malware really, not good Google.
That's RPM to you!!
Mav
Fixes: 515

Thanks.
Probably easier to uninstall Chrome then re-install under the new name.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still