cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet down?

digital
Grafter

Usenet down?

I've been unable to connect to text.usenet.force9.net for most of the evening and am getting a 'timed out' error.
Anyone else?
Update: timeouts continue even after changing from text.usenet.force9.net  to usenet.f9.net.uk
Thunderbird retrieves the number of headers available for download for the newsgroup but clicking on download eventually elicits the timeout message. This is occurring on both my laptop and desktop. Tthe only change has been to upgrade from Kaspersky KIS 2013 to KIS 2015 on both but I have had no issues with KIS previously.
3 REPLIES 3
digital
Grafter

Re: Usenet down?

Replying to myself but, after a fair amount of fiddling, I've discovered that it's Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 that is causing the problem.  Pause protection or re-install KIS 2014 and usenet is back to normal.
Anyone got a solution?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Have you tried this http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=44835
My Kaspersky suddenly decided to block web access for an app on my PC that I use regularly.
It didn't like the app uploading to my site.
It took a bit of doing to fix it including the above link.
I'm using KIS 14.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
digital
Grafter

Thanks; sorted!
I had seen the page you linked to but Thunderbird was already in the trusted list so thought it must be something else.
However, I was wrong! Once I dug down I found that going into Network Ports, removing 'NNTP 119' (which was counter-intuitive and why I left it previously), and then restarting Thunderbird, I got Usenet back.