Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet articles - nothing doing...

coople
Grafter

Usenet articles - nothing doing...

Hi
might sound like a strange request but is anyone successfully downloading anything from usenet?
I have tried mulitple nzbs but my client always reports the articles don't exist.
Using news.plus.net and no username/password.
The same nzbs download fine using another news server.
The posts are less than 24 hours old so I can't imagine its a retention issue.
thanks
Paul
6 REPLIES 6
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Usenet articles - nothing doing...

You are aware I hope that the Plusnet Usenet service is text groups only (no binaries)!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
coople
Grafter

I am now
Crazy
thanks!
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

I've not used my AstraWeb account for a while, but I've just checked and the same deal that I went for last time I bought any usage allowance is still there - 1000GB for $50 - see http://astraweb.com/
Good retention etc.
LordFox
Rising Star

My favourite USENET provider for many years is Newshosting. I've used USENET since it was only used for what it was first made for.
There are deals around on the 'net at $100 for a year's unlimited (both speed and quantity) access. That's what I have and can easily fill my 20Mbps-ish line.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

I used to use NewsHosting and found them to be excellent, both in retention and speed.  However as my unlimited account was payable monthly, and there were some months where I hardly used it, I decided to start buying non time-expiry blocks of allowance from Astra instead.  The last block I bought around 2-3 years ago (as mentioned above - 1000GB @ $50) still has 700-800 GB left on it, and has definitely saved me a fair chunk of cash!
LordFox
Rising Star

Hmm... that would probably fit my usage now. It wouldn't have done a couple of years ago. 1000 GB should be enough now for at least a year, probably more.
That price is still on Astra's site. When my current year is up with Newshosting in a few months, I'll give that plan a try.
Thanks!