-L1H-fy9g>
-L1H-fy9g

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

21 REPLIES 21
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Useless products

Oh, I dunno.... I think it is a good idea... certainly would make getting rid of crud under the keys much easier.... just leave it in to soak for an hour or so,... drain it off.. then let it dry ... brill !..
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I've cleaned many keyboards in my working life and the stuff that came out of most of them was scary.
A great idea.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool I once told a guy he should clean his keyboard using a hoover... suck out the cr*p around the keys... but I forgot he was a bit special needs rugby player... yes he did clean the keyboard with a vacuum cleaner... by laying it on the floor and running it over, and over, and over. At least the bag collected the keys. Then took him a month to put them back in the right place. He is now the CEO of an internet company.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have bought one  Roll_eyes
However it wasn't for the washable bit although that may come in handy - it was because it has black letters on a white background and are supposed to be more resistant to wearing out (that bit I won't know about for a few years)
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I'm with Strat - fixed many  'sticking' keyboard by making it vertical along the length of the keyboard and gently tapping it on the desk.   If there was a way to achieve it,  I could have reconstituted a couple of lunch time rolls from the crumbs!    
Only recommended for pragmatists who don't mind replacing the odd key-top or two Cheesy

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

For all I know, a standard keyboard wouldn't be harmed by this kind of treatment, provided
you let it dry out properly.
Personally, I'd prefer to invest in one of the old IBM model M keyboards with a mechanical action.
None of your rubber mat rubbish!

Thunderclap
Grafter

Vilefox, I agree. There's nothing more solid than a SOLID keyboard. As for those 'all metal'  Apple keyboards of today, they're nothing more than a glorifed remote controls - expensive remote controls. Once upon a time, IBM keyboards came with a built-in key clicker to make it sound like the staff were still using typewriters! A useful mode for middle managers who thought the sound of typing was the sound of productivity. IBM were clever like that.
Cool SysReq?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

There were two wires leading to a miniature speaker in the bottom of the keyboard.
I cut them. Cheesy
There was no proper keyboard "action".

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Oldjim
it was because it has black letters on a white background and are supposed to be more resistant to wearing out (that bit I won't know about for a few years)

The colour doesn't make a difference - what does make a difference is if it is double shot molded.
Edit: People seem to have misunderstood the point I'm making - I was specifically referring to "supposed to be more resistant to wearing out"
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
TORPC
Grafter

Sorry Jelv
Colours can matter especially for those that are colour blind
Please see http://colorfilter.wickline.org/
jelv
Seasoned Hero

What on earth has how it is for people who are colour blind got to do with how quickly the letters wear out?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: jelv
Quote from: Oldjim
it was because it has black letters on a white background and are supposed to be more resistant to wearing out (that bit I won't know about for a few years)

The colour doesn't make a difference - what does make a difference is if it is double shot molded.
In my case it did because under the ambient light conditions and my eyesight I can more easily see the lettering of black keys on white than white on black.
I actually compared an old white keyboard with my black one and could clearly see the difference
I can't really explain why I can read black on white easier than white on black but I can
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I have clarified my previous post.
Double shot molded key tops are like a stick of rock - the letters go right the way through and are not just paint on the surface. You could file the top of the key off and the letter would still be legible.
In my job I've seen keyboards used by people keying at 15,000 key depressions per hour, 40 hours a week where their finger nails have worn deep grooves in the key tops and the letters are still legible.
TORPC
Grafter

Yes but the Double shot moulded keys can come in a variety of colours, and as OJ has pointed out the angle of light has it's part to play aswell which then makes the difference to someone that is colour blind or other sight problem(s)
5. What keycap Colors are available?
We currently have 148 ABS colors and 107 PBT colors to choose from and the resources to color match nearly any custom color for a fee. Color rings containing all of our standard colors can be purchased at our Marketplace.

See http://keycapsdirect.com/faq.php#5