Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use existing Belkin G+Mimo wifi router and Modem only with new router

mistrale

Use existing Belkin G+Mimo wifi router and Modem only with new router

Hi
Hope somebody can help here.
I have an existing Wifi Modem Router (Belking G+Mimo) which has the Wifi part failing... not sure why, but the wired PC'c work fine so my conclusion is that the Modem part (ADSL) is working perfectly fine.
I have a new Belkin N1 Wifi Router (no modem).
Can i use the two together and if so how do i get the old G+ to act only as a modem for the new Router?
Any helpfull suggestions welcome
thanks
mistrale.
8 REPLIES 8
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Use existing Belkin G+Mimo wifi router and Modem only with new router

You could try setting the Belkin G+Mimo to 'Connection Type to Modem Only (Disable Internet Sharing)'
See page 33 of the manual ( assuming its a F5D9630 ?)
Having connected the N1 to one of the Ethernet ports  you will then need to put your username/password into the N1 configuration.
What model is it BTW ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

itsme
Grafter

Yes you can, not sure which version you are using but for version 1 of the G+mimo you need to select Dynamic 1483 bridge and set the encapulation to VC mux. This will pass all the internet traffic through the modem by passing the NAT, router and firewall.
For the N1 router you connect the WAN port to the first port of the G+. Then go to the WAN settings and select PPPoE, you will then have to enter your username and password,
Your username will be  'plusnet username'@plusdsl.net
mistrale

Hi Ian
Thanks for the reply - i just tried turning it to Modem Only as you suggest (yes it is a model F5D9630 -4) although the manual i have isnt on the same page as you - but then i had to down load it again form the net... sooo...
any way then i plugged the Ni wifi Router in it went into setup mode but couldnt detect an internet connection and therefore gave up (tried this several times) - i am now htinking i need to somehow bypass the wizard and do this manualy...
Model for N1 is F5D8232.4 by the way.
I will try this manualy, but any other suggestions welcome.
Thnks
mistrale
mistrale

Thanks itsme - im going to tyr this with ians post as well - wish me luck as it took a bit of time to get back on line with the G+Mimo after the last attempt!!!
Speak to you soon to let you know how i get on....
mistrale

I'm back!
An i appear to be connected via the new router and the old router/modem... wow - thank you.
Took a couple of re-starts for some rason - but it seems to be working.
now just got to set up MAC adresses and some security.
Many thanks to both of you for your help.
mistrale.
mistrale

Hi Guys
Thanks for the help getting me connected.
The issue i am having now (yes another one!) is that i keep loosing the connection to the net - Accotrding to the N1 router, but the lights for internet and phone connection on the G+Mimo are all green and say i have the connection.
If i ununstall the N1 and go back to the G+ no problem (except the original of failing radio signal).
So the question is: Is this a set up problem that i can tweek or is the N1 more sensative to problems with the BT line or.... what????
Any help greatly recieved.
mistrale.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

You haven't got the 'Disconnect after X..' , in the PPPOE configuration, set on the N1 by any chance have you ?
Page 39 of the manual

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mistrale

Doh!  Embarrassed
I realy need to RTFM dont I?
Thanks Ian that looks to be exactly what the issue is.
All the best
mistrale