cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use a 2nd. router as a wifi extender

bobw1943
Grafter

Use a 2nd. router as a wifi extender

My son's house has very thick stone walls and he is struggling with his wi-fi in one of his rooms.

He uses his phone and a bluetooth speaker in this room and the signal is a problem.

He has some TP Link powerline units and I have a couple of spare routers, a Netgear DG834G v2, and a Technicolor TG582n..

If he connects the primary router, a Sagemcom 2704N to a powerline plug could he connect the extra router to a another powerline plug in the problem room and use it to extend his wifi range?

He's tried a wireless repeater but had the usual problem of things failing to connect to the network.

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: Use a 2nd. router as a wifi extender

I don't know about the Technicolour but I have converted a DG834GT to do this. However it can't be just plugged in, it first needs to be set up as a wireless access point.. This is not difficult. If you do an online search you will find instructions but if you get stuck come back here.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

One further thought and maybe worth a try. If the wireless repeater has an Ethernet port just see if it will work in reverse. That is, plug an Ethernet cable from the remote powerline unit into the Ethernet port on the repeater and see if it will work in reverse. I have done this successfully in the past with both Devolo and TPLink powerline wireless units, using just one as a wireless access point fed from an Ethernet cable but have no idea if it would work on an extender.

It ain't going to break anything and if it costs nothing to try...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bobw1943
Grafter

Thanks for your response. It will be next week before I can try anything.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Many powerline units transmit a wireless signal at the far end so a second router would be superfluous (e.g. https://www.johnlewis.com/tp-link-300mbps-av600-powerline-extender-starter-wi-fi-kit-tl-wpa4220-kit-... ).  Otherwise a router configured as an Access Point (connected as you suggest) would do the job.