cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usb wireless adapter

Thomastank
Dabbler

Usb wireless adapter

I am about to change from wired connection to a wireless connection could someone suggest which usb wireless adapter  would be the best one to choose for a Thomson TG585 v7 router!!I
Thomson do a (Thomson TG123g 54Mbps USB wireless adapter ) is this the one which would be most suitable or would any g rated adapter be okay
My intention is to plug the router in the main telephone socket cutting out the telephone extension  !! will this have an effect on reducing any line noise( which is about 12-16 SN margin)
Also does going wireless have any effect on download speeds
Thanks for any advice given
18 REPLIES 18
samuria
Grafter

Re: Usb wireless adapter

An adapter matched to the router is always  best as they can be a bit funny at time but one from the same company should be a perfect match.
Wireless can be a lot slower than cable as cable can go at 100 megs wireless max is 54 meg with a normal speed of maybe 10 megs. The speed all depends on how much noise you get as wireless often has to re transmit data making it slower.
Plugging the router into the master socket can improve things but maybe not as much as you think if you have a hard wired extension as this will still pick up noise and if the bell wire hasnt been removed a lot of noise. Ideally you need a new filtered face plate so the phone is filtered at the master socket not at the end of the line.
if the extension is plugged in to a filter at the master socket its no so bad but removing the bell wire may help
Thomastank
Dabbler

Many thanks for your reply!!
The extension is hard wired into the main telephone socket and I have no phone plugged into this socket and it is plugged elsewhere on an extension point .the hardwired extension goes from the main telephone socket to the Sky TV !! from Sky TV point  then onto the room where the computer is situated .
Good quality micro-filters are used on phone points that are in use !! is 12-15 SN margin in a acceptable range
The bell wire was removed at the main hardwired telephone point which feeds the extension
Thanks for any help offered
pierre_pierre
Grafter

your Sky link should be filtered is it?  also, dont like the sound of the way your wiring is arranged. 
it should be.    from socket to filter,  this has two sockets.  1)phone socket, this should have all phones and sky etc to it.  2)adls socket (The smaller on) this should only go to your router
Thomastank
Dabbler

Yes the Sky socket has a micro filter on the connection which which connects the telephone connection into the back of the sky box!!! .It is hard wired from the main telephone master socket to the Sky extension point and then hard wired to the room were the Computer is situated
My idea of using a wireless connection is that it would remove the extension wiring from the broadband connection and maybe improve the connection a bit as I would situate the router at the master telephone socket
I hope I made myself clear as I am not the most technically minded person
Thanks
pierre_pierre
Grafter

does the extension to your PC room come off before the Sky socket, it should. and you should also have another filter/splitter at the end of that, one for the phone and one for the PC/router.
It is not a good idea to have your router at the end of a long extension.  But the other point is what is between where you are thinking of putting your router and the PC.  any brick walls?  how far, both will degrade the WiFi signal and sloww down the WiFi signal
Thomastank
Dabbler

Two interior brick walls !! and about 10 feet !! No from master telephone point  to Sky extension point and then from sky extension point to the room with the computer room
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if it comes after the sky filter that is all wrong.  I assume you are thinking of the same thing, have you got a splitter/filter at this point, it must be a filter and not just a normal BT splitter  See this page for photos of different sorts
see also this how to do it http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13
Thomastank
Dabbler

Master telephone Point                Sky telephone point                                            computer telephone point
       O----------------------------------------------------O------------------------------------------------------O
                                                              |                                                         |
                                                               |                                                        |
                                                      microfilter                                           miccrofilter                     
                                                             |                                                          |
                                                             |                                                          |
                                                        sky box                                            computer
The above wiring is all hardwired between the master socket and the computer extension socket with a micro filter for connecting the sky lead and a micro filter for connecting the modem
Thanks will have a look at those links

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

You might want to try double-filtering the Sky box, it often helps.
And have you disconnected the ring wire (3) everywhere?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: Thomastank
Two interior brick walls !! and about 10 feet !! No from master telephone point  to Sky extension point and then from sky extension point to the room with the computer room

No way will you get a usable Wifi signal with two brick walls.
I've only got one plus about 20 feet - and I've invested in a high-gain antennae for one computer.
Can I suggest that you run an ethernet cable along the same path as your phone line?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

samuria
Grafter

Using the main network could be another option see
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46494&source=2001&doy=search
The idea of the filtered socket is it filters the noise at the socket were as the plug in filters do it at the end of a long antena
Thomastank
Dabbler

Many thanks for all your replies I may have to re think things a bit !!
Both the Ethernet cable and the micro link kit are both good ideas to consider !! the thing that does concern me about the micro link kit is I have a cordless phone and my daughter has a wireless digital sender for her television signal I wonder if these may interfere with anything
samuria
Grafter

A wireless router is more likely to interfere with the phone and tv receiver than the main network and those could also interfere with wireless adsl. With the wireless phone and video sender you could see if the signal works were you intend to use the wireless router. I assume its a dec phone so if you plug it in at the master socket and then walk with the handset to were you have the pc and it works 10-1 the wireless router will be ok as they are both in the same range.
Wireless is hit and miss sometimes it wont go 6 feet and other times you can pick it up down the road
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I have my DEC phone base station and wireless router about 4" apart.
In fact, they share the master socket.
They work fine - although many people report that the phone interferes with wireless.
I have used the phone whilst sitting in front of the PC and it has no effect - except that if you put the handset too near
the screen, it distorts the image in a psychedelic way.  Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."