Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage monitoring, please help

Rincewind
Dabbler

Usage monitoring, please help

Hi folks
I've had unsually high readings in "official" usage for quite sometime, can someone advise me on the most accurate way to monitor  independant of Plusnet's usage monitor?
I intend to start a fresh check on usage, rather than try to figure out now many hours I've spent doing this and that, but my usage for Saturday was an incredible 1.4Gb.
This morning from 10am, I'm already at 115mb and that's with basic surfing (2 forums and 2 webmail open (Yahoo and Plusnet) with 6 basic messges received), no downloads, no utube, no gaming etc.
I've checked my router log for additional wifi connections, just in case I have a freeloader, but all appears fine.
Any help appreciated.
Regards.
Den
4 REPLIES 4
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: Usage monitoring, please help

Other programs are available, but I've found the free NetLimiter 2 Monitor very easy to use. It produces comprehensive usage stats, and you can also see in real time which applications are using bandwidth.
For the latter you may find the free Deskpins useful too - keeps any chosen app 'on top'.
http://www.netlimiter.com/download.php
http://deskpins.en.softonic.com/
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
David_W
Rising Star

From a link on this forum from either Jelv or Bob, I use this one
It's pretty useful and can do stats, weekly, daily, monthly and apparently can ignore LAN traffic to only show real internet traffic. as well as showing traffic peak/off peak times so you'll know exactly (roughly) how much internet usage you've had during peak hours.
zubel
Community Veteran

Networx is a lovely piece of kit.
Not sure that it will be able to monitor the usage of a set of pearwood luggage with hundreds of feet, but for the purposes of logging your usage should be perfectly fine Smiley
B.
Rincewind
Dabbler

Thanks a lot for the replies Smiley
Very useful info, I will try all of the programs. (one at a time!)
Thanks for advice Barry, but I don't have your common or garden pearwood, mine is Sapient Pearwood so it's too intelligent to monitor! lol

Ok, I've disabled my wifi and will only use one PC connected directly to my router.
Tomorrow from 8am I'll start tracking usage to compare with Plusnet's figures.
Thanks again for the helpful replies.
Den.