cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upstream Usage Question

djdat

Upstream Usage Question

Hi, I'm a new customer and I have a question about the usage policy, I've looked around for info on this subject but there doesn't seem to be any mention of it.
Basically, My new connection is for a online radio station, Which will be upstreaming to ustream. My question is, Is the upstream classed as a download? I have a 60GB p/m usage limit,
And as I plan to be online 24hrs a day, It is important that this does not result in £5 per 5GB charges to my account. Can someone please verify this? Thanks!  Cool
8 REPLIES 8
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Upstream Usage Question

My question is, Is the upstream classed as a download?

It's classed as an upload and will count towards your monthly allowance, yes. You can keep track of your usage here: https://www.plus.net/view_my_broadband_usage/index.php
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Hi djdat
Go to the members centre and ensure that you're monthly spend (as in extra spend) is set to £0.00 (to ensure you dont get overbilled) - however if you go over your 60GB/month, you'll be rate limited.
Streaming doesnt require that much bandwidth though, even if you were doing it 24/7 Smiley
(but obviously, the higher bitrate you use the more bandwidth you'll burn)
Regards
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Although it isn't documented (well I can't find it) the upload speed is limited to 256kbps
This was my speed test after reaching my usage limit
matt_2k34
Grafter

Which providing you're not doing anything else on the line - it should be enough for a reasonably high quality stream Smiley
Regards
djdat

Thanks guys. I was using a talk talk line before and the upstream was 50-80kbps, Which was suitable enough for my needs. I won't be doing anything other than the occasional windows update on the machine itself, So I should be ok.
I will set the limiting thing just in case and keep an eye on the usage during my first month. When the station is up and running I will post up the link for you guys to come listen! Thanks again!  Smiley
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Glad to hear you got it sorted, doubt upload will cause you any issues but please let us know if there are any. Look forward to checking out the show!
djdat

The site is up now and here it is!
www.sdancelive.com

Progressive House, Tech House, Deep, Minimal & Techno - Come check us out Wink
jamessealey
Grafter

Hi DJDat
Have added your station to my home music streamer, sounding good!
James