Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploading Photos

southken
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Uploading Photos

Hi, just a query I have, I uploaded a 100 photos to be printed with an online photo shop (crashed and I didn't get them, but that's another story), I noticed that it had used 4gb of disk space.  What would that be used for and is there any way I can get it back by deleting something?  Sorry, I'm not very technical.
14 REPLIES 14
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Uploading Photos

If you "uploaded" them to a website, for them to print off for you,....the 4GB probably refers to the total size of your 100 photos.... not the actual disc space on your hard drive....
to cut down the size of the files you  are uploading... you can use "FastImageResizer"....very fast and very easy to use. http://adionsoft.net/fastimageresize/
After downloading and installing, it will leave a icon on the desktop.... all you need to do is to drag and drop the pic(s) you want resized onto the icon... and it will do the job in seconds...
If you have folders and folders of pics... I.e. one for each day.. the program can be set in the "options" to use the same file name and put the resized pics in the same folder in a sub-folder called "Resized" ... the file name will be  something like  My Pic 001.jpg  and in the resized folder it will be  My Pic 001 800x600.jpg
As an example... I have an original pic sized at....  2,109 kb and after re-sizing ... it is... 158kb..... so very much smaller file size... which means that it can be sent via email or uploaded almost instantly, instead of taking forever... !.. looking at the pics side by side, it is impossible to see any difference between the two...
southken
Rising Star

Thanks for your reply shutter, what happened was I got to about no. 90 when it just crashed and lost them, I would have to start again, which I haven't yet, so I will check out the FastImageResizer.  The space on the hard drive had gone down 4GB since the photos and I don't know why that would happen.  There's no new programmes or temporary files taking up the space.
Thanks for the information, it is very helpful and I need all the help I can get!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

which operating system and browser are you using also which website were you uploading to
southken
Rising Star

It's Windows 8.1 and IE 11 and the site was Cewe photoworld. 
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Did you use their software to create a photobook as it doesn't change the original images but creates a copy with all the changes it or you have made
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Why not just upload as two separate batches?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

With Fast Image Resizer.... there would be no need to do it in batches... they would all be uploaded in about 3 minutes ( probably ! ).....  Cheesy
Oldjim
Resting Legend

If I am right about the software being used that isn't an option and resizing the images isn't what we are discussing
Can we wait for the OP to answer my question about the software as, if I am correct, he is probably trying to create a single photobook and resizing images isn't necessary or desirable
Neither is it addressing the question raised which is why he has lost 4GB of disk space
southken
Rising Star

Hi Oldjim, sorry for the delay, what I did was go to their website and there's a link that said 'add images' and I clicked on that and it brought up my pictures file on my computer and I just clicked on each one I wanted individually and uploaded it, as I said I got about 90 done and it crashed.  I can't find anywhere they might be copied, the size of the file was only 356mb. 
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I have had a play and when you select "add image" it automatically reduces the file size judging by the time it takes to upload a 5MB image for a 6" x 4" print  (about half what it should be)
What I haven't been able to find is where it does it or whether it creates a temporary file
So I am afraid I can't help
southken
Rising Star

Thanks for trying anyway Oldjim.
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Would something like THIS help? (No wonder not everyone loves W8!  ::))
As ever there is more than one way of finding recently used and created files.
sjptd
Grafter

You could try installing a program like WinDirStat to see where the space is going (http://sourceforge.net/projects/windirstat/)
The software is probably creating a copy in its 'album' space as Jim suggests; I know Albelli does.  Rather unnecessary and irritating; I suppose it thinks it protects the album if you start moving pictures around.
southken
Rising Star

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look at them now.