cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uplink Port

seanbranagh
Grafter

Uplink Port

After not knowing for years and not bothering to find out I finally found out what an uplink port on a network switch does.
According to what I read, 2 regular ports on seperate switches would need to be connected with crossover cable and a computer connected to an uplink port would need to be connected with crossover cable.
I am confused by that because that is not what I done with my cabling but it works perfectly. Picture at
http://findabrush.seanbranagh.com/img/network.jpg
The port on the far right of the switch is an uplink port and is connected to a computer with straight through cable. The cable between the regular ports on the router and switch is also straight through but it all works!???
17 REPLIES 17
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Uplink Port

That's because most network switchs / NICs / Hubs today are auto-sensing so can detect whether you use a straight or x-over cable to connect to and from it and adjust the port to work.
So now you have learnt what an uplink port is for you can forget about it again!
In the past there was usually a reversal toggle switch which reversed the polarity of the uplink port so you could use whatever cable you had to hand (straight or X-over).
I'm surprised it actually mentions an uplink port on such a device. They are still used on commercial switches where you may have 1 or 2 gigabyte uplink ports to connect the switches together on a high speed network with the ports themselves only working at 10/100Mbs.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: seanbranagh
I am confused by that because that is not what I done with my cabling but it works perfectly. Picture at
http://findabrush.seanbranagh.com/img/network.jpg
The port on the far right of the switch is an uplink port and is connected to a computer with straight through cable. The cable between the regular ports on the router and switch is also straight through but it all works!???

Thats because the switch you have (which is exactly the same as mine) DOES autosense. It's a good little switch (got mine for £3 on ebay!).
The manual clearly states that it doesn't autosense and that you MUST use patch cables instead of crossover yet in another part (actually might be the .pdf from sitecom's website) clearly states that it does support the protocol which autosenses (can't remember the name of it now).
In short, your switch will use anything (beleive me, I've used crossovers, patch in all combinations and my switch is identical to yours).
Also, the uplink port IS NOT the only one. All 5 of those ports will work as uplink. Look at the lines on the switch a bit more carefully and follow the line from where it says uplink - you will notice it actually points to all 5 ports.
Can I ask how you fixed yur switch to that board? - Did you remove the magnetic feet or something?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
7up
Community Veteran

Heh, well I never knew that!
Thanks Okrzynska, that was very helpful of you!
Okrzynska => Glad to be of service mate Wink
seanbranagh
Grafter

Nice to get the sitecom switch for £3. I paid £29.99 for mine! That was about 4 years ago now and it has been runing perfectly 24/7 since then apart from the odd mains power failure. Despite working perfectly for so long I will be changing this switch sometime soon for a gigabit one with 8 ports. My network has outgrown this switch both in speed and number of ports.
If you have exactly the same model as me it will have magnetic feet for attaching it to a computer case. You can put 4 screws in the wall and it will stick to them. Even without the screws it would be supported by the cables I have going in.
If you are curious about the other hardware the Linksys access point has a very useful wall mounting bracket. The Netgear router however has no wall mounting facility. The weight of it is supported by 2 small tacs at the bottom just about visible in the photo and the back of it is covered with blu-tac!
7up
Community Veteran

Yeah Maplin still sell those switches for £28!
I'm also thinking of upgrading to GB switches at some point but at the moment I've got a mini-itx system I'd like to build first.
If you decide to sell your sitecom 5 port, let me know what sort of price your looking for - I might be interested.
Nice tip about the magnetic feet holding onto screws on the board! - Didn't think of that! (But yes it is currently stuck on the side of one of my beasts)
seanbranagh
Grafter

Yeah. I bought that switch in Maplin and they are still selling strong for £27.99. I know cos I am a manager in one of their stores.
I would be unlikely to sell that switch as I always horde things and I know if I sold it I would have a use for it a week later, sorry.
Could be a while befor I change to GB ethernet. It is not top of my list. A UPS at least 1400VA is needed before that.
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: seanbranagh
Yeah. I bought that switch in Maplin and they are still selling strong for £27.99. I know cos I am a manager in one of their stores.
I would be unlikely to sell that switch as I always horde things and I know if I sold it I would have a use for it a week later, sorry.
Could be a while befor I change to GB ethernet. It is not top of my list. A UPS at least 1400VA is needed before that.

Yeah I know what you mean about hording old IT stuff - I'm the same and yes, a week later, you'll have a need for it! I'm not really in a rush for GB ethernet either. While I'll admit the speed would be nice for moving vmware images around I'm not desperate for it.
Manager of a Mappers store eh? - Can you do discounts?
I went to the Maidstone branch recently, found myself spending a few (60) quid up there.
Incidentally I'm building a double sided UV light box out of an old double sided SCSI scanner I just got off ebay.
seanbranagh
Grafter

Unfortunately I am not the general store manager. I am "senior sales" which is pretty much similar but less money.
All Maplin staff get discount, depends on different products but it is usually very good.
I spent lots of money in Maplin for years before I started working there but the Maplin range is not as exciting now that I am looking at it everyday!
7up
Community Veteran

Yeah I also noticed that the maplin range is slowly decreasing too. They don't even have etching tanks in the catalogue now!
Any advice for building UV boxes?
seanbranagh
Grafter

Sorry man, don't even know what a UV box is for. I am good with techinical stuff usually but you have escaped me on that one.
Maplin has changed its product range over the years to cater more for the average person on the street. No longer just a shop for geeks. Thay sell lots of toys and stuff that they didn't when I first became a custommer.
7up
Community Veteran

Heh, yeah I noticed the way cool hovercrafts they had in store @ Maidstone! (Was very tempted I can tell you!).
How come they don't put catalogues in WHSmiths now?
seanbranagh
Grafter

The Dragonfly helicopter is the best! Am always telling the part time staff to stop playing with the toys!
Didn't know the catalogues were ever in WHSmith. The website is better anyway, Products and prices change so much the catalogue is always out of date.
That store in Maidstone must be a new store. Their picture on the Maplin site has the new company colours like our store (opened in March.) Personally I prefer the old Maplin look and staff uniform!
7up
Community Veteran

Yeah years ago the catalogues were available in Smiths for £3.95. That was the beginning of the end for mappers as a 'geek' supply store when they stopped making the catalogues available.
UV box is basically a box with a glass panel inside and UV lights. You put a photoresistive board in it with your circuit board design (printed on tracing paper) and close the lid.
Turn on, expose the board to UV light which breaks down the etch resistant photo cover - Except for that covered by the black lines on the print. You then remove it from the box, chemically remove the exposed resistant, then etch the circuit board as normal in ferric chloride.
Mappers have UV boxes but they ain't cheap (small 1 sided £105 - See YA36P).
Yes I preferred the old red colour scheme. The light blue just doesn't look right for mappers. Makes them look a bit wishy washy if you know what I mean..
7up
Community Veteran

Your local has speed boats? - U lucky man! Mine has hovercraft which are a kind of cross with a catermaran (Is that spelt right?)
!