cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading router range.

scipio1st
Grafter

Upgrading router range.

I currently use my internet on the second floor with several brick and plaster walls as obstacles and possible microwave interference. I have looked and there is no way to get the router closer to my computer, so I am looking at other solutions.
Is there a router with a better range and which will work without problems with XP, Mac, XBOX 360, and the PSP?
I ask this because I am having problems with streaming and connection drops. I currently use a 16 month old Netgear DG834G v4. I have looked at MIMO and RANGEMAX, but not sure whether these will work. Should N be enough? And what would you suggest. I wont be paying no more than £100.
6 REPLIES 6
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Upgrading router range.

Is there way you could run a single ethernet cable from the router to the second floor? If you could do that (and you want to use wireless upstairs) you could get a Wireless Access point: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/46057
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jtn
Grafter

Hi.
Homeplug setup would be the best way to go. One standard unit plugged in near your router and a unit with combined access point anywhere you want the internet.
http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm
Cheers
Jon
scipio1st
Grafter

Thanks Guys,
I have ordered a wireless homeplug and a standard one. Expensive but probably worth it if it works.
scipio1st
Grafter

Thanks for the recommendation on the homeplug. it's working wonders! From a 30kb/s to 120kb/s, I am now getting 260kb/s to 280kb/s on wireless. And it seems consistent right now. My mac connects to the line really quickly now, before it would take a few minutes to find it.
Thanks
Andrew
jtn
Grafter

Great they're working well,
Cheers
Jon
scipio1st
Grafter

Hi Jon,
I do have one issue with this setup. The utility disc which is used to detect and setup the wireless security measures is not working properly. I cannot access the solwise forum so i wll ask here. Is there any way to make a WEP without this software? Will the netgear WEP be sufficient?
Thanks,