cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from XP

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Upgrading from XP

I have a Dell 775 Desktop pc with Microsoft Windows XP. I use Microsoft Security Essentials, which leads me into some process to check if my hardware can be upgraded to Windows 8. The result suggests that my pc cannot use Windows 8 (someting to do with NX [I think} which may or may not be settable by the BIOS - I cannot find it in the BIOS so assume I cannot use Win 8).
However, I can still legally buy Win 7 on a CD (brand new and with licence), so what I need to find out is how can I confirm that my pc will accept Win 7 before I waste £100+ buying the CD?
Thanks in advance
33 REPLIES 33
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Upgrading from XP

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thanks OldJim. I've used your suggestion, and it seems I may be able to load Win 7, although the report says it will be a customised installation. I know what the word customised means in general circumstances, but quite what customised turns out to mean when I try to install Win 7 is another matter. Will it tune itself automatically but in a non-standard load, or will it ask me to make decisions, and will I understand the question leave alone answer correctly? I'm not particularly clever when it comes to computers (as you probably know from the number of times you've helped me over the years).
The Win 7 Upgrade report based on my pc answers both for 32-bit Win 7 and 64-bit Win 7 which is a bit confusing. It tells me what my uP is (Intel E2200 2.2GHz), and the Intel spec says it can use 64-bit instructions - does this mean I could install either version of Win 7?
As for investigating for using Win 8.1, the Win 8 Upgrade states my hardware needs to be able to support PAE, NX and SSE2. The upgrade report states I haven't got NX turned on. Apparently NX is controlled in the BIOS under Security but I haven't been able to find it, so I may have to investigate if there is a BIOS update I can install.
Oh well - onwards and upwards
Thanks
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: penneck
quite what customised turns out to mean when I try to install Win 7 is another matter.
Simple, really, it will be a clean install and wipe the hard disk.
At best it will save some of your user data in a separate set of folders.
There will be no carry-over of programs or settings.
So, you'll really need to save EVERYTHING you want to external media and reload that as well as reinstalling any programs.
Note that the 64-bit version may be incompatible with some devices or programs, but the W7 compatibility tool (Upgrade Advisor) should detail all that.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

While I am waiting for my reply with an attachment to load  Crazy
I have done a bit of checking
I suspect that your CPU is 64 bit so PAE is irrelevant - you can check that by looking at which processor you have
This explains about NX etc.
Note that in my case the only thing I can't have is secure boot
PowerLee
Pro

I have found in the past that some computers originally designed for & sold with XP actually run better on Windows 7.
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Hopefully have attached the reports for Windows 7 and 8
PowerLee
Pro

You could always give Windows 7 a road test on your system before paying out for a licence.
If your ok with partitioning a hard drive & setting a dual boot OR have a spare hard drive you can stick in the machine it might be worth a try.
From your system spec's you would be better of with the 32 bit version of Windows 7 due to the 2 gig of ram.
You can download official copies of legal Windows 7 software to test for a period ( pretty sure it used to be 30 days before it asks for the key ) Then if your happy Windows 7 runs ok on your system you can activate with a genuine key.
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thankyou PowerLee. Its been a long time since I used Partition Magic, but I have my own copy, so I'm sure I could set up a new partition. I haven't set up a dual-boot system since the days of Windows 95, so cannot remember how to do that, but it would be worth a try.
TORPC
Grafter

How to duel boot windows XP & windows 7
Easy to follow guide
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thankyou Torpc. Have started the process you pointed me towards, but it has taken a long time to backup up everything.
I have had to create a Win 7 installation CD, but I'm not sure I have created it correctly. Creating a cd from an iso-file is not something I have done over the years. When I get to the point where I have to use it, I will find out how good it is.
Unfortunately lack of time has stopped me until the weekend.
TORPC
Grafter

Use a program like ImgBurn to burn the .ISO file to DVD
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Another one..... BurnAware  FREE
http://www.burnaware.com/download/
penneck
Aspiring Pro

I have installed a copy of Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit version, and it seems to work okay (early days). I would like to get Internet Explorer working, but I'm not sure whether to load the standard installation or try the version where I select whatever happens. The problem with the standard installation is that the e-mail setup uses something called Live Mesenger - I think that is what it is called. My wife's laptop uses Win 7 and Live Messenger, and we have never found out how to get it to connect to the e-mail system on Plusnet. Fortunately she has an older laptop with XP so she has been able to deal with e-mails that way.
What should I do to get Live Messenger to work on my Dell so that I can use e-mails? I dont want to lose the e-mail connection I have on my Dell from the XP partition.
Thanks to everyone for their help so far.
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Another problem already. When I go into Win 7 and try to open Internet Explorer now, it complains about the driver for Intel 82566DM-2. Before I do anything:-
1. Is there a different version of this driver for XP compared to that for Windows 7? How would I know which is which?
2.  can I download the Win 7 version of the driver onto the XP Partition without installing it?
3.  while I am in XP, can I download the Win 7 version driver into the the Windows 7 Partition? If so where should I put it?
4. If I got it somehow into the Windows 7 Partition, rebooted into Windows 7, then installed it, would it adversely affect the XP load?
Thanks