Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading firmware on 3com router

ajax
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Upgrading firmware on 3com router

I suspect my 3com router (model 3CRWDR101A-75) is the cause of dropped connections as restarting it almost always restores the connection. One of the suggestions from Plusnet Support is to upgrade the router firmware. However the only 3com firmware download I can find for this model is an .exe file. This is ineffective on my Mini using Snow Leopard.  Am I right in thinking this is because .exe is a Windows format? If so, does this mean that Mac users can't upgrade router firmware with certain router models? Or is there a way of upgrading via this .exe file?
Any advice gratefully received.
2 REPLIES 2
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re:Upgrading firmware on 3com router

Hi ajax,
I'm not sure what to suggest, unless the .exe is a self extracting zip archive and can be extracted with a zip tool. That way you could extract the .bin file and flash that directly via the html interface - but again that's assuming there is one on the router.
Other than that I'm afraid you may need to use a virtual windows PC, or take your router round to someone else's house who uses windows in order to do the update.
I'm not sure it will but I hope that helps,
ajax
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Upgrading firmware on 3com router

Thank you. I have indeed found that StuffIt Expander does extract the .bin file and I've upgraded the firmware via the html interface as you suggest. And what a difference it has made!
One thing worthy of note discovered: not all versions of StuffIt Expander will extract such files. The earlier versions will, and so will the latest, but not those in the middle. Bit odd.