Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading Vista To Windows 7

Boz
Rising Star

Upgrading Vista To Windows 7

Hi Everyone

Quite a while ago I started a topic about connecting my friend's laptop to the Internet.   That was eventually resolved and now my friend would like to upgrade the machine from Vista to Windows 7.    I've done the usual searches for the software, but I'm troubled by the comments I've heard about finding a reliable source.   Does anyone know where I can purchase a proper version of Windows 7 32-bit Home Premium?

Boz

14 REPLIES 14
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Upgrading Vista To Windows 7

Don't do it; neither supported by M/Soft anymore, and will have no software vulnerability updates.

If you didn't want to use it to connect to the interweb, you would stay safe however Smiley

If you want to expose your friend to future grief from spam, malicious software etc and all the usual suspects, go ahead.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Gel wrote:

Don't do it; neither supported by M/Soft anymore, and will have no software vulnerability updates.

Not correct.  Windows 7 is still supported in regard to security updates which will continue until 14 January 2020

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@Gel wrote:

If you didn't want to use it to connect to the interweb, you would stay safe however Smiley

If you want to expose your friend to future grief from spam, malicious software etc and all the usual suspects, go ahead.

Load of cobblers.....  I have been running Win7 since it started... and have used ebay for replacement DVD`s ... these installed Win7 with no problem, and all updates are being received...

If you think about it.. by the time that Microsoft have stopped supporting Win7 with updates... they will be on to Win 11 or whatever, and the "whizz kids" will be spening all their time trying to hack windows 8  or windows 10...

For what it`s worth, I used the same copy of the dvd on a second machine,.... and it nags me about not being genuine... BUT... it still updates just the same.... only obvious thing is, after 30 days it refuses to show a desktop picture... just a black background...with the program icons all in place.... . no big deal....

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

it's quite easy to get hold of suspiciously cheap copies of Windows 7 online.  I rather doubt that these are fully legitimate but it also seems quite unlikely that Microsoft will do anything about it if they have not already done so.  Therefore if you can activate your copy of Windows 7 I think there a a good chance it will stay activated.

Old hardware may struggle to cope with the demands of new software, particularly demanding software like a typical antivirus program.  At some point your money would be spent more cost effectively on buying a new computer rather than trying to keep an old one going.

As others have said, Windows 7 will stop getting updates after 14 January 2020.  Windows 10 will reach the same end on 14 October 2025.       

Boz
Rising Star

Hi ReedRichards

Many thanks for your comments, and thanks to all those who replied.

Unfortunately, my friend doesn't have a copy of Windows 7, and it is true that he should buy a new computer.  But, to be honest, he hardly ever uses his laptop, and it seems that he wants to keep it going as long as possible and as cheaply as possible.  In order to help him, all I wanted from this topic was to find the name of a reliable vendor for Windows 7.

Boz

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Does your friend really need windows 7? Depending on what things he's using the laptop for, maybe a switch to a Linux distribution is the way to go.

I switched my mother's old vista laptop onto Xubuntu and that's running very well at present (just need to upgrade to latest LTS release, backup required first) 

That's RPM to you!!
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Unfortunately Microsoft stopped selling Windows 7 some time ago, so all the reliable vendors no longer sell it either.  What you are left with is some suspiciously cheap vendors who would be a bit of a gamble but, by all accounts, are probably okay.

The big advantage of Windows 7 is that you can install it as an upgrade over the top of an existing Vista installation.  Linux is only the answer if you know Linux yourself and are prepared to maintain it for your friend.  

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

You should also think about program compatibility issues, some that work in Vista may not work in Windows 7. I had that problem and had to hunt round for a couple of bits of software that worked after updating.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Boz
Rising Star

@ReedRichards wrote:

The big advantage of Windows 7 is that you can install it as an upgrade over the top of an existing Vista installation.  Linux is only the answer if you know Linux yourself and are prepared to maintain it for your friend.  

Not sure about Linux, but are you saying that, if I find a reliable copy of windows 7, I can overlay it on top of Vista without any damage, because there seems to be some doubt about this?

Boz

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

@Boz wrote:

are you saying that, if I find a reliable copy of windows 7, I can overlay it on top of Vista without any damage, because there seems to be some doubt about this?

Yes, that's what I am saying.  I don't think there has ever been a version of Windows that has not allowed you to upgrade directly (as an "overlay") from the preceding version.  You probably have the 32-bit version of Vista so you would have to upgrade with the 32-bit version of Windows 7.

Of course there may be programs on the computer that work with Vista but don't work with Windows 7.  I would be surprised about that but @Pete11 says he had problems.     

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

One problem I had was to do with a video camera. On Vista I could just plug it into a USB port and it was instantly loaded, but on Windows 7 it wouldn't work. There were no drivers for it available and meant me buying a newer video camera.

Another problem I had was a program I used for editing video's. That wouldn't work either, not even when using the compatibility wizard.

I also had a problem with the sound driver. After going to Windows 7 the sound was choppy but after a lot of searching I managed to find the right driver.

If you are going to upgrade to Win 7, download the drivers first (sound, video, lan etc.) and put them on a usb stick just in case. And don't forget the webcam drivers if the laptop has one.  Thumbs_Up

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Boz

Why do you want to update it? The laptop is obviously long in the tooth and you could end up with hardware and/or software compatibility issues. Why not stick with Vista but install a compatible internet security suite, there are still a few around.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@Boz wrote:

@ReedRichards wrote:

Not sure about Linux, but are you saying that, if I find a reliable copy of windows 7, I can overlay it on top of Vista without any damage, because there seems to be some doubt about this?

Boz

@Boz  Well, if you like, you can try it..

... BUT.... you should still make a back up copy of all the files folders and documents, images, music tracks/videos videos and photos.etc etc etc....

PLUS... you would still need to make sure you have all the drivers for the machine ready.....

Just in case.... when you do the "upgrade"... your Windows 7 install disc wipes the drive completely.. 

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

That's not going to happen!  An upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 will not wipe the disk (unless you ask it to as part of the process).  However the worst case scenario is that the upgrade goes wrong and the computer refuses to start Windows so a back-up is a very wise precaution.