cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10, touchpad & sound problems

Santiago
Grafter

Upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10, touchpad & sound problems

I had a very nice & nifty 9.04 set up dual booting on my laptop. It wasn't broke so I should have left it alone
Today in my wisdom I decided to upgrade to 9.10.
It seems to have upgraded but now there is no sound, the touchpad is not working and the whole thing is sluggish
I would appreciate some advice on how to fix this please.
11 REPLIES 11
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10, touchpad & sound problems

Did you do a fresh install or an upgrade? Also what laptop?
Santiago
Grafter

it was an upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10
The laptop is an Acer 5610Z dual booting with XP
HairyMcbiker
All Star

One thing I noticed when I did an upgrade of Ubuntu was it MUTED the sound. Have a look at the sound icon and see if it is muted (right click).
Touchpad is another can of fish!. Search in Synaptic for touchpad and see if there is a new driver there.
Santiago
Grafter

I did check for the mute and it was unchecked. Will go and look in Synaptic, thanks
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I had a very nice & nifty 9.04 set up dual booting on my laptop. It wasn't broke so I should have left it alone

Sorry to hear that Santiago.
Have you tried a 10.04 Live CD, I think the RC is out now. If that works ok then it may be worth upgrading to that. The release is due for 29th of this month. I must admit I experimented with 9.10 ( my netbook is still running 9.04 ) but it broke my 3g dongle so I decided I would wait for 10.04.
In preparation I did split my /home to a separate partition so that a 10.04 install would be possible later.
I've been testing the 10.04 Beta using VirtualBox on my desktop and its looking pretty good to me.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Check the stream as well as the main sound icon, it may have the stream set to 0 even thought the main sound is set full.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Doing a spot of googling this seems to be a possible solution to pulseaudio issues after upgrade to 9.10
1.Add user to audio group
sudo adduser 'you' audio
2. Delete contents of ~/.pulse
3. Reboot.

Have you already found and tried that Santiago ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Santiago
Grafter

Thank you both for your help, I have the sound and the touchpad working. I would like to give you both a precise and detailed account of the procedures I used to effect the solution.
However I was just fiddling about with the drivers in Synaptic and re-installed the touchpad drivers. When I rebooted I got a pop up asking me if I wanted to keep the existing menu.lst.
Now during the upgrade I had selected "keep existing menu.lst" but this time I selected.........err the one at the top.
When it was rebooted the Touchpad and the sound were working. I am now going to have a good look around and make sure everything else is working.
Regarding 10.04, I normally wait a while until the new versions have had a good shake down before upgrading, hence my efforts today with 9.10!
Edit: BTW Opera has disappeared!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I would have a look at menu.lst - it's probably in /boot/grub
Does the boot entry stuff near the end of menu.lst correspond with your updated kernel?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Regarding 10.04, I normally wait a while until the new versions have had a good shake down before upgrading, hence my efforts today with 9.10!

Yes I would tend to agree with you there. I do get the impression that since 10.04 is a LTS release its not quite as cutting edge as 9.10 and from my tests with Virtualbox its looking good.

Santiago
Grafter

Quote from: A
Does the boot entry stuff near the end of menu.lst correspond with your updated kernel?

Cheesy    It does now.