Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to wireless

granges
Dabbler

Upgrade to wireless

Hi,
I've seen a few other posts about this, but I'm looking for a definative answer to avoid assuming.
I have a Netgear wireless router already (used with another ISP) and I fancy hooking it up to my PC.  As all the config settings that came with the "wired" router were supplied by PlusNet, is it simple enough to copy the settings over onto the wireless router and make it work?
Also, regarding payment I notice if you buy a wireless package, you pay per minute etc... Does that mean I have to change my account?
Thanks muchly,
Steve
6 REPLIES 6
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Upgrade to wireless

Er, can you explain a bit more what you expect this to do wirelessly, your wording sounds like you've confused totally different services....  Crazy
As for using it as a router on PlusNet it's dead easy, just change the basic setup with the PlusNet ADSL connection parameters; I and very many others have done this easily and quickly. No change to your PlusNet package is required at all.  Wink
granges
Dabbler

Hi,
I think it's still too early...  Embarrassed
Um....basically I want to have my PC connected to the internet through wireless and at the same time have my games console connected using the same router.  PC is in study, console is downstairs in the lounge.
Thanks for the advice on changing the settings over, sounds relatively simple enough.
Smiley
HPsauce
Pro

Shouldn't be a problem at all, what model router is it?
Your first post read like you were looking at wide-area wireless services as provided by mobile phone services, they generally charge by data volume.  Roll_eyes
Just connecting your PC wirelessly to your router doesn't cost anything - apart from buying some sort of wireless adapter for the PC of course.
granges
Dabbler

Hi,
After checking it's a Belkin 125Mbps Wireless ADSL2+ Router not a Netgear one.  I've got a PCI card adapter and aerial for my PC already so it *should* be straight forward...
I'm assuming:
) Write down all the basic config settings from current router
) Power down and put wireless adapter in my pc
) Swap router
) Power up and go into the router settings
) Enjoy?  Cool
HPsauce
Pro

No, set up the router using a LAN connection first.
Go wireless when you know it's working.
granges
Dabbler

Nice one!
Thanks for all your advice.  I'll have a go later.